Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Small problem with LD10 gearbox

Sid

Small problem with LD10 gearbox

Post by Sid »

I've just been out in the LD10 for its first road test and I have a small problem. The gears change up ok, and going down through 3rd to 2nd to 1st are ok, but it doesn't do 4th to 3rd for some reason. What happens is it seems to go into neutral. It happened every time I tried 4th to 3rd, so I don't think it's an intermittent fault.
Anyone had a similar problem and can advise me?
Cheers
Sid

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Small problem with LD10 gearbox

Post by theoldman »

Sid,
Check for ANY slack in the linkage, especially at the gearbox end.
Normal for Norfolk

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The above advice is good and probably at the root of the trouble, from what you've said. I had a similar problem with the LA10 for a while after I bought it. There was one change down that just never worked right and it does run in my head it was top to third. Changing up was ok but down was the problem. A combination of new linkage ball joints and very careful setting of all the rod lengths and lever positions cured it. The amount of movement in the selector lever at the gearbox end is very small for 5 separate positions and if there is slack somewhere in the system it may be ok going in the one direction when all the joints are being pushed but shows a fault when they are being pulled, or vice versa. You really need someone else working the lever while you look and feel each joint in turn, starting at the quadrant on the gearbox and work back. Once they have put the lever into each position, feel that the quadrant on the gearbox is really right where it should be. You should, I think, be able to fell where third is on the way up and make sure it goes to the same place on the way down.
Sorry if some of this has a slight vagueness to it, the truth is that once correctly set on both the LA10 and LD10, I have not had to look at it all again for quite a while so that may be a slight piece of good news!

Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks chaps, all good advice. I must say I have noticed a certain slackness in the joints when I cleaned and greased them including the one on the gear change pedal link at the gearbox end (although if that was the culprit I would expect trouble on all the gears). The next question is where on earth would I get hold of new linkage ball joints? I don't think I've ever seen those on sale anywhere, at least not online.
Cheers
Sid

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Vintage Supplies have all the small ones :

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/searc ... all+joints

Somewhere on here, or maybe the old site, there will be information on the sizes but if you have any difficulties, someone here will do what they can to help, I'm pretty sure.

Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks Simon, useful link.

Sid

Post by Sid »

It's been a while since I've been able to get back to this persistent problem. The gear change lever on the side of the gearbox is very sloppy, in that if you remove the linkage from it and position it as would happen in a gear selection change, it feels very imprecise,especially the top to 3rd position.
What I was going to do was take off the side cover assembly in the hope that something is amiss in there. The thing is, will it come off whilst the box is still on the car, and does it come off without bits pinging off in all directions? Anyone taken this piece off before?
I've taken a photo of the top of the gearbox, one picture showing 3rd gear (second from top) not engaged when changing down from top, and one where it is engaged when changing up from second. There is a 3mm gap between the automatic adjuster and the adjusting screw.
Attachments
DSCI1773.JPG
Last edited by Sid on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sid

Post by Sid »

Attachments
DSCI1772.JPG

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

Sid

Have you seen viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3110 which has pictures of the side cover removed from an LD10 gearbox? I don't know what space there is on your car for removing the cover but on a Conquest it is possible.
I guess similar wear to the camshaft on the selector mechanism that is shown in that posting might cause the symptoms you describe.

Mike

Sid

Post by Sid »

Hi Mike
No I haven't seen that before, I think it answers my question. Also I found this which may be helpful http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/library/ ... lector.htm
Cheers
Sid