Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel Tank

sp250boy

Fuel Tank

Post by sp250boy »

After spending over a month cleaning my tank, I decided to remove the drain plug that was seized.

Good news is I managed to remove the brass drain plug... However:
IMG_8244.JPG
Any suggestions
It is a Lanchester

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Fuel Tank

Post by NickDeAth »

Find a decent old school welder, cut the old boss off and weld on a new one. I know that is over simplifying the job but I think that's your best bet.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Find an old school welder brave enough to weld a petrol tank.
Filling it with water to eliminate petrol vapour from exploding.
Alternatively get a new one made from stainless steel. It should then be safe from ethanol based petrol.

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Any suggestions who would make me a stainless Steel Fuel tank...
It is a Lanchester

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Since you have a pattern you could try Stotfold Engineers.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

That's bad luck Steve. Am pleased to hear there is a drain plug. I am not sure mine has ever been drained since new!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Graham

Post by Graham »

Not sure it would have been welded due to the dissimilar metals and thickness, brazing would probably be the best option

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

simonp wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:03 am That's bad luck Steve. Am pleased to hear there is a drain plug. I am not sure mine has ever been drained since new!
It did cross my mind that considering the number of times most tank drains are used, the easiest solution would be to cut off the remains of the boss and just weld or braze a plate over the hole.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

In the case of the SP Nick you are quite right in my view.

About the only good use a drain plug is in a fuel tank is to drain it for some reason, perhaps by chance diesel should manage to get into the tank, but with an SP that is not possible other than getting the tank out. If you have the tank out you may as well use the neck to empty the contents.

Not sure about welding or brazing a plate over though.

Graham

Post by Graham »

When I did my tank I left the drain plug well alone, because I thought I may end up with the same problem as you. What about grinding it flat and using petrol resistant adhesive to fasten a plate to it and then line your tank with one of the kits you get online. My tank had been repaired several times and I used one of the lining kits and up to now it as been brilliant