Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pre select gearbox - help!

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Pre select gearbox - help!

Post by ranald »

Hello, I've had my engine out and rebuilt. Its all taken a year. The gearbox of the Lanchester 15/18 is a separate unit and was left in place. I had expected to simply reconnect the control rod (I.e the rod from rocking shaft to gearbox) without any adjustment. However, I have found I've had to increase the length of this rod quite a lot. Why that should be, I have no idea. Anyway, I have set the gearbox mounted lever in the furthest forward position and adjusted the control rod with the driver's selector hand lever in the Reverse position on the quadrant. I've had no problem with Neutral and all forward gears. However, reverse gear whilst engaging (of sorts) is slipping especially when the engine is revved. I didn't have these problems when I last used the car. Reversing on the level is ok but more difficult up slopes. The only thing I have changed is the gearbox oil. From Castrol XXL30 to Comma Classic 30. Oh, I've also pumped the gear change pedal 12 times in each gear to re-set the bands.
Any thoughts. What can I do next? Thank you. Ranald

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Pre select gearbox - help!

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Ranald , I presume that Reverse is located at the bottom of the quadrant by thr Steering Wheel like my LA11?
If this is the case, then you need to select reverse gear on the Quadrant, then disconnect the linkage again, at the Bulkhead end, and then push the Selector Lever on the Gearbox to its furthest rearward position,
Then readujust the Linkage so that the Ball joint aligns with the Cup on the Linkague.
In therory all should work as it should.
Changing the Oil should have made no difference to to operation of the Gearbox .

Hope this helps, A’l. :) was

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks for your reply Al. Yes, like yours, reverse gear is at the bottom of the quadrant. I don't think I've explained myself clearly. When I said "I have set the gearbox mounted lever in the furthest forward position", I was referring to the furthest forward marker on the gearbox casing. To achieve this, as you say, the lever is pushed to its furthest rearward position.

I have done that and I get neutral and all forward gears but reverse whilst 'sort of working', slips when the engine speed is increased. Therefore reversing up any gradient is difficult. Level ground is ok.

Does anyone have any more thoughts. Thanks.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

This may seem less than helpful, but is meant well. I have read your description and had a look at the diagram of the 15/18 layout in the owners handbook. I get the picture, the flywheel is on the rear of the engine coupled to the gearbox by a shaft with universal joints. You left the gearbox where it is but the levers are now out of alignment with where they were. Is that broadly correct ? If so, something isn't where it was before and there has to be a reason for it and somewhere along the line it's going to show up.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar in detail with how the parts are put together on your specific model but it would seem to be in where the brackets/bearings are for the preselector control levers. I'd have another look at it all and a good think about what was moved when the engine was out. Is something upside down or the wrong way round ? I think I'd try having a look at everything with a fresh eye before adjusting anything because if it was all ok before it came apart, it hasn't magically lost or gained half an inch or so of metal.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

You could try disconnecting the linkage at the Quadrant, on the Bulkhead and just in small increments re- position the Selector lever on the Gearbox depressing the pedal (with the engine running of course), each time until you re- find Reverse.
Then adjust the linkage to suit, after which you would then of course need to ensure that the rest of the gears still engage.
Just a thought ...............

Cheers A’l

Of course, it may just be with all that new found power having reckon’d your engine, that the poor old Gearbox just can’t handle it !!!😊😊😊

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Simon, You were spot on. You said "something isn't where it was before". Well, whilst the engine was out, I modified the floor slightly by adding an angled steel plate between the toe board and front floor board section. It turned out that the gear change pedal was not returning fully when reverse is selected. It was being impeded by the new steel plate. I've adjusted the rod between pedal and gearbox so this no longer happens. Result: the reverse gear is back in good fettle.
Thank you and Al for your comments, Ranald

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

:) Thank you

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Pleased that you found the answer,

Cheers A’l :D