Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cylinder head gasket

Sid

Cylinder head gasket

Post by Sid »

When winter comes I plan to take the LD10 off the road and do a top overhaul. There are two head gaskets advertised on ebay, one is copper at £93 + P&P and the other a composite material with steel edging around the combustion chamber holes at £85 + P&P. What would be the best one or isn't there much difference? ( I mean in performance rather than price) Or would you go for a gasket firm to make one up. Also, I've never used gasket goo on a head before, but I've read some peoples comments where they have.
Cheers
Sid

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Cylinder head gasket

Post by Petelang »

Syd, the weakness of composite gaskets is they can be inclined to leech oil between the layers. I've had this problem. By far better is the copper gaskets.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Also, if you've done a top end overhaul, presumably you will have had the heads skimmed so no gasket goo either. Use the copper dry (in my opinion).

Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks for your opinions, so it looks like copper. And yes I'll be having the head skimmed.