Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 Gearbox adjustment

Royal Blue

LD10 Gearbox adjustment

Post by Royal Blue »

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a mechanic in West Yorkshire who can adjust the pre-select gearbox on my LD10. It is grabbing harshly when selecting gear, mainly 1st and reverse. The car is located in Halifax.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: LD10 Gearbox adjustment

Post by Norfolk Lad »

My first guess is tick over is to high have you had a preselect car before just to give others a better idea , was the car being used before you bought it were you given a test drive.

Peter

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I agree with Peter, any tick over above 400 rpm will give a harsh take up and is the first port of call.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

If it isn’t because of high idling speed this sounds like a classic case of too much toggle action. The fix is to tighten up the brake bands by turning the individual pullrod nuts clockwise about a quarter of a turn which reduces the clearance between the annuli and the brake bands. If you’re reluctant to do this then a mechanic can do it without much trouble. Excessive toggle action is the result of the self adjustment mechanism not operating, usually from a build up of oil deposits on the pullrod threads.
Steve

Royal Blue

Post by Royal Blue »

Hello Peter,
Fair comment but I have driven 'hundreds' of vehicles with pre-select gearbox (have to say mainly buses) but this is my first experience with a Lanchester car! The tick over seems fine, however I have never heard the correct tick over on an LD10. When 1st gear is engaged the bonnet and front of the car appears to rear up - it grabs the gear that harshly, the dynamo light flickers/comes on and the car will creep forward.

Regards

Richard

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

The tick over should be that low that the charge light is just showing red that is if that part is also working correctly, but as said tick over is much lower than a normal car.
Just be careful as some have broken half shafts in the past.
The car will creep if no brake is applied even with the charge light showing hope what we have all said helps, trouble is we are not standing next to the car which would make life easier.
let us hope what we think may solve the problem.

Peter

Royal Blue

Post by Royal Blue »

Hi Peter.
Thank you for your friendly advice - most helpful and appreciated.
As Steve has commented if it isn't the tick over then it could be too much toggle action - the issue here is I am not a mechanic and I don't have the confidence to tackle it alone, I also completely agree with you in as much as I don't want to cause any damage to anything as a result of excessive/harsh gear selection. Until I can find someone competent who is able to sort it out (however easy it might be) she will remain 'confined to barracks'

Richard

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Richard you could ask for a local member must be one near where you live and a local branch of DLOC, might be worth contacting David Beales who makes parts for the cars trades as Daimler Boy on ebay.
Not that far from yours so he would have a contact in your area we would hope

Peter
ps
needs driving as lack of using will not help

Mark Bullen

Post by Mark Bullen »

Also check that the engine and gearbox mounts aren't split, perished or separated from the metal plates. Mine snatches a bit in reverse and I have to replace the gearbox mount. A next winter job

Royal Blue

Post by Royal Blue »

Hello Mark,
Thanks for the advice - Peter has been a great help and what was initially said appears to have been the problem - tickover too fast, I slowed it down on the instruction and guidance of Peter and the car now is much better, she doesn't snatch too much now when engaging 1st or reverse. I was also confused over the brake lights which I thought were sticking on but once again Peter's helpful advice explained that the brake lights come on when the hand brake is applied. I felt much more confident about the car (only having her 2 days at that stage!) that I took her on a 50 mile round trip to a show and she performed faultlessly. Grateful thanks to Peter.