Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 10

Jamesgeary

Lanchester 10

Post by Jamesgeary »

Hi all,

First I am a total novice as a mechanic - so be gentle! I bought a Lanchester 10 at auction on a whim and love it. I would like to maintain it myself but clearly have a lot of learning to do.

I have two specific questions which I would be most grateful for answers to:

1 When I fill the tank with fuel, the only way I know it is full is when petrol pours onto the forecourt! I believe this is because the tank is at a lower level than the filler pipe and there seems to be some sort of vent (?) on the top of the tank through which the petrol flows before it is able to cut off the flow of fuel. I don't have a fuel gauge on the dashboard. Can anyone advise?

2 I am certain that I should top-up/replace the oils in both the fluid flywheel and the rear axel. Can anyone tell me what sort of oils I should be using?

many thanks in advance

James

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Lanchester 10

Post by Norfolk Lad »

James the first thing we need is what year and model as there is more then one ten , if a La the back axle oil differs from a LD the other advice is buy a manual which was with the car when new.
The LA has monster valve tappet settings which has made problems in the past for some, you will get help once we have the year there is always someone who will.
Peter

chrisjb

Post by chrisjb »

Hi James
As said we need to know if it is a LA10 or LD10. Pre and post war respectively. Then contact Mark Cuthbert-Brown who has digitised many manuals/service books etc. markcuthbertbrown @ me.com (no spaces). He has helped me a lot in this field.
Chrisb

Jamesgeary

Post by Jamesgeary »

Thanks for the replies. The car is a 1934 version. I am lucky enough to have the original manual, but it tells me to top up the flywheel with "Lanchester Engine Oil" using a syringe. For the gearbox I am told to fill with "Daimler S.C. Oil" and for the rear axel it tells me to drain every 3,000 miles and fill with "Lanchester Heavy Gear Oil". I wondered what the modern day equivalents of these oils are?

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi James, welcome to Lanchester ownership.
You should use a straight 30 Grade oil for both Fluid Flywheel and the Gearbox. To check the Fluid Flywheel level, first remove the Carpet from the footwell, you should find a Bung in the centre of the Footboard, remove this and you will then see a metal plated attached to the Bell Housing.
Having removed this plate, turn the engine until one of the Brass Bungs is central, fill the cavity beneath the bung with a piece of Rag etc, to prevent it from falling into the Bell Housing.
Remove Bung and top up the Fluid Flywheel, so that the oil level is just at the base of the threads.
To top up the Gearbox, the Floor section just in front of the Front Seats needs to be removed, the Filler Bung is towards the N/S rear of the Gearbox, again, top up until the Oil just reaches the bottom of the Filler Plug threads.
Rear Axle, use a straight SAE 140 Gear Oil, NOT Hypress ..

Hop[e this help you on your way, any other queries, just ask.

Cheers A'l Lanchester LA10,11, 12/6 & 14hp Registrar
Last edited by JT7196 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesgeary

Post by Jamesgeary »

Thanks so much.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

I thought the gearbox was always SAE30 as additives in other oil can cause the bands to slip, as this topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3052
guess i will be corrected if wrong .Peter

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

No, Peter, you are right. Straight 30 in flywheel and box.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Sorry ,I stand corrected !! :o :o :o :o

Cheers A'l

Now rectified :D :D :D

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

James, Have you joined our owners club yet? Hopefully you will. Any chance of posting a photograph of your car on this forum? All the best, Ranald