Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Ignition light not going out

Graham

Ignition light not going out

Post by Graham »

I have a problem on my lj200, the ignition light stays on, I put a meter across the dynamo and it was about 1.9 to 2.0 volt then connected the dynamo terminals together and took a reading of between 13 and 16 volt I guess this means the dynamo is ok. I joined the A &A1 cables together and took a reading from the D in the box and this was less than 2 volts. Tried adjusting the regulator with no diffence then tried another old regulator and got the same results. Any ideas folks?

qantasqf1

Re: Ignition light not going out

Post by qantasqf1 »

Graham wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 pm I have a problem on my lj200, the ignition light stays on, I put a meter across the dynamo and it was about 1.9 to 2.0 volt then connected the dynamo terminals together and took a reading of between 13 and 16 volt I guess this means the dynamo is ok. I joined the A &A1 cables together and took a reading from the D in the box and this was less than 2 volts. Tried adjusting the regulator with no diffence then tried another old regulator and got the same results. Any ideas folks?
Graham, if you suspect it’s the regulator it’s easy to test in the car or on the bench (better!). Clean the cutout and regulator points with fine wet or dry. Next, connect an ohmmeter to the F and D terminals. This should show a closed circuit (no resistance). Press down the regulator armature and the ohmmeter should fall back to about 60 ohms if memory serves - significantly, at any rate. This proves the regulator points are OK. Next, connect the ohmmeter to the D and A terminals. This should show an open circuit because the cutout points are separated when at rest. Press down the cutout armature and the ohmmeter should show a closed (connected) circuit. If not, the cutout points are not clean or their gap is too wide. Next, with all wires disconnected from the control box apply 12 volts to the D and E terminals. This should energise the cutout and regulator coils so their cores will magnetise; testing either with a screwdriver or similar for magnetism will tell you if they’re OK. If one or both are not then that coil is U/S. All this is assuming you’re confident the various connections in the charging circuit from dynamo to battery are OK, including the earth wire from the E terminal which must be connected firmly to the chassis. Gap settings for the contacts depends on the type of control box which may be a Lucas RB106?

Graham

Post by Graham »

I think both of the regulators have at it.i tried what you said and the coils did not magnetise and the resistance did not alter when I did the resistance check. I cleaned everything up. Is there a modern replacement for these as there are old ones on eBay but the reviews are poor .

Graham

Post by Graham »

Looking on eBay and all the RB 106 regulators are negative earth. Did they do a positive earth one or are they all the same?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Trouble with your regulator? Go electronic, easy to fix and no trouble afterwards. See this topic and my post at the bottom of the first page viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1784&p=10453&hilit= ... nic#p10453
Peter at http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/ does electronic regulator conversions for most models, using your regulator box and terminals. For my SP250 it cost about £200 but is worth every penny.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks john! I am going to invest in one of these. Just the job.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

.... having recommended an electronic regulator, I have no idea if it will solve your ignition light problem. All I can say is that my regulator started behaving oddly and fell apart due to corrosion when I cleaned it. I couldn't adjust a new one to work properly so I sent it off for electronic conversion and it's been no trouble since.

Charging and discharging works properly and the ignition light comes on before starting the car and also when the revs go down to about 600rpm. It may be a good idea to ask Peter at what revs the electronic regulator is set to show the ignition light.

It's your risk!

Peter at Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions asks you to do some tests on the dynamo, battery and wiring before ordering. You then send him your regulator stating whether you have 6 or 12V, positive or negative earth and type of dynamo (2 brush or 3 brush, etc.).
He takes out the innards and inserts the electronic regulator connecting to the same terminals and drills ventilation holes in the back. He sends it back to you and recommends that you flash the dynamo, see http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... dynamo.php . Remember that if you connect the regulator incorrectly you could burn it out instantly.
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... ulator.php
The above is just a brief summary.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi I fitted one of those electronic Regs to my Lanchester as I have to say that it’s absolutely brilliant. Even with the lights and electric cooling fan turned on there’s still a charge go8ng into the battery .

Cheers Al :D

Graham

Post by Graham »

I just went on the site and got a new one, the old ones had large chips out of them and not been used for over 30 years. Only question asked was dynamo output, I also ordered some flashing trafficators from them.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Converted reg fitted and ignition light out and ammeter reading 15. Result . Plus new Coverdale carpets fitted and brand new hub caps .