Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lovely Lanchesters

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Lovely Lanchesters

Post by Christopher Storey »

Seen today at the Wirral Car Club rally at Thornton Hough, Wirral

A quite stunning Lanchester 18

Does anyone know what the glass bottle with a "Simms" cap is for ? Even the owner did not know

Also, a Lovely L10, I believe with a Sportsman body
Attachments
P1110015.JPG
P1110016.JPG
P1110029.JPG
P1110013.JPG

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Lovely Lanchesters

Post by Christopher Storey »

Best shot of the L 18 - an engine you could eat your dinner off :D :D
Attachments
P1110011.JPG

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hello Christopher, I’m the owner of the 15/18. What a great event yesterday and nice to have 2 Lanchesters in attendance. This annual Wirral run involves 3 static details and a very carefully planned road run taking us through Port Sunlight, many lovely villages and the promenade at Hoylake. It seems to be well publicised, for example a free program is available with details of all the cars. People are standing in groups to view the cars at regular intervals enroute and there is much waving to be done! You didn’t get the opportunity to ask me about the Simms device. It is an upper cylinder lubricant system. Not standard equipment but a period fitting. I think it has an internal component missing and I have tried to find someone with the same unit so I can compare. In the meantime I’ve disconnected it from the inlet manifold. My car did 120 miles yesterday. Thank you for support and for posting these photos. Ranald

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Christopher/Ranald.

I am fairly certain the glass bottle is/was part of the automatic lubrication system, which is activated from the inlet manifold, there should be brake pipe type tubing running from the bottom of it to feed oil to the spring hangers/shackles etc.

My Daimler 15 has a similar but less fancy bottle in the same place, the tubes on mine are on place, but the tubing has been cut off at the spring shackles.

The shackle pins should be drilled and the tubes should feed oil into them, on mine the pins have been replaced with the same pins but they are not drilled.

The correct pins are available from Marcel Renshaw, listed on fleabay but they are complex things to make and a complete set is quite a lot of money. Syd.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

As it happens, the page header this week shows a BSA, Daimler 15 and Lanchester engine in the animated photo which all show a bottle in the same place. I've repeated it below as the header image changes every week. I was assured by the Daimler 15 owner that the glass bottle was part of the lubrication system.
dashboard-animated27.gif
(Click it to show a bigger image).
Wait for the third, fourth and fifth photos in the sequence which should show a photo every 12 seconds in a browser or photo application although some don't show the animation.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

At the shown places where the bottles are, my 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé has a round tank made of iron sheet like a can as reservoir for the brake fluid of the hydraulic braking system.

Regards
Rolf B.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

And here's the picture of the engine compartement with the brake fluid reservoir

Rolf B.
Attachments
IMG_1085.JPG

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I'm pretty sure I have correctly identified it as I mention in my earlier post. Its a Simms No. 1 upper cylinder lubricant device. Its beautifully made and has a very fine adjuster to ensure the desired amount of lubricant gets into the inlet manifold. The only other one I have been aware of is one sold by HVauctions in June last year. I asked them to put me in touch with the buyer but unfortunately nothing came of that. If anyone sees another one, please let me know as I'd love to compare the components to see if I can work out what might be missing in mine. Thanks for the interest. (The brake fluid reservoir and spring lubrication are elsewhere on the 15/18 chassis).

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Ranald, Without a doubt it is the auto lubrication header vessel, just looked at my 15 maintenance manual (as you know the Daimler 15 and some Lanchesters were close relations) and it shows yet another type of header unit, I know they used a tin one and at least three types of glass containers, so there were several different types used, but the location was always driver side, top of bulkhead above the steering column as on the photo of your car.

I have not got access to a copy of the workshop manual, which I am sure will have the tubing detail, but no doubt Big Al Lanchester Man, will chip in soon, I am sure he will be able to help.

It seems most cars have had the system removed or disconnected as it dripped oil if not properly adjusted, but the key components are the right shackle pins. Syd

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Syd, I’ve just remembered, it was discussed in a previous forum posting. I attach a link. http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/topic.a ... erms=Simms
All the best, Ranald