Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine woes. ! !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Engine woes. ! !

Post by Sydsmith »

Great job on that carb conversion Al, looks very original even if we do know different, can't wait to get my HV4 on my 15 now, but building work has stopped play for a bit.

Great to hear you are on the mend hope, they get it under control for you, despite the moans and groans our NHS is second to none.

BTW we are on page 14 have not counted the entries but must be heading for a record.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Ha,Ha, Sid, never gave it a thought !
Done about 400 miles in all since the re- built re- build, with the last say 50 odd miles with the new SU fitted, I have to say, it’s a real pleasure to drive , not that it hasn’t always been, but she just feels different altogether, I would recommend this conversion to all LA11 owners , and never thought I’d say that !!
Special thanks must go to my mate Mark, who kindly produced the Inlet Adaptor, it looks and indeed is, very professionally made .
It allowed me to utilise the original Air Silence and this was the bit that I really was concerned about, as fitting one of those Pancake Air Cleaners would have been an easier option, but it just wouldn’t have looked right.

Best wishes, Al 😊😊

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Sydsmith wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:17 pm BTW we are on page 14 have not counted the entries but must be heading for a record.
Maybe for this forum, but on the archive forum monkey (Kevin Monk) had a topic with 24 pages and 349 posts with almost daily photos of his Dart restoration. The red car which is a very early RHD was bought by Paul Chamberlain. Neither are members of this forum.

Also marcmears (Marc Mears) who had a topic with 38 pages and 411 posts for his SP250 restoration including photos. He is a member of this forum (as Marc Mears) but hasn't posted much, presumably he did a good job on his car!

Most of the photos on the archive forum were posted through photobucket which stopped displaying them unless you started paying a sub, but both topics still show them.

I set up the Technical Articles forum expecting long topics describing restorations in detail day by day, but it hasn't happened, apart from adding a huge number of Wilf Stephens' articles.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, this may? be the final chapter of my Engine Woes hopefully, so I thought that I would put some photos of it now it’s finished😊😊
03DEB780-D58A-4C95-AF2F-275D5C0F65F6.jpeg
DA1EBC23-50A0-4547-8F80-4A556087F16F.jpeg
57A4779A-3594-43EB-9FF7-01626D534517.jpeg
773F79D2-511E-4301-AB82-355D759356BF.jpeg
Hope you like it 😊😊😊

Cheers Al 😊😊

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Glad you home Al, that engine is a work of art. I hope that temp sensor works this time, well done.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Thanks John, yes gradually recovering thanks, thought that I would spend some time giving the Engine a bit of a polish, !,

CheersAl 😊

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Well done All, worth all the effort.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi , quick update, didn’t like the Plastic Piston Damper so purchased a “Propper “ one with a Brass knurled knob from Burlen Carburettors.
Still experimenting with Fuel mixture , seem’s to need very little choke when starting from cold,, if I weaken the mixture any more by means of the adjusting Nut, then the Engine starts to “Hunt” ,so just contacted Burlens again, and they have suggested fitting a “Weaker” Needle, which I have just ordered, be interesting to see if this works .
9F2A6182-5E64-4728-86E5-4AF024B39807.jpeg

cheers Al 😊😊

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Truthfully, the black phenolic cap had caught my eye as the only out of place item but it seemed churlish to write about it. Well done for ordering the proper job, another bit of brass to polish!
On the subject of the mixture, I have found that with a separate mixture control and hand throttle, only a short burst of mixture increase is necessary for a decent engine to start and once going, the increase in engine speed by the hand throttle is all that is needed to keep it running. However, it may require a bit of choke momentarily if called upon while still cold to do some real work.
It will be interesting to hear how the weak needle performs, next chapter to add some more pages !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, well the “Weaker” Needle arrived today and has duly been fitted, not used the Colour-tune yet, but my nose tells me that the mixture now “ Smells” about right, took the Lanch out for a Ten mile test run and the “Weaker” Needle does not seem to have any detrimental effect on performance .

Cheers Al 😊😊