Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine woes. ! !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Engine woes. ! !

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, at long last I actually have a Petrol Gauge that works 😀😀😀
This is the first time in the Twenty or so years since I restored her, many thanks must go to Richard ? who works at Carwood Rewind’s in Yeovil Somerset, for his seemingly never ending patience, tenacity and downright skill in sorting out that darn Tank Transmitter .
To be honest the Furl Gauge does waver when the car is in motion (Anybody got any ideas on how to dampen it down a bit) ?
But even do, it’s nice to have at least some idea how much fuel is in the Tank 😀😀😀

Cheers Al

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The modern gauge doesn't waver as much because there's a voltage stabiliser in the circuit. That is why the gauge on an older car jumps to a reading when the ignition is switched on compared to newer gauges which take maybe 20/30 seconds to give an accurate reading. The stabiliser damps out the movement caused by going round corners and going over bumps.
I have never got round to seeing whether a stabiliser would work on an older gauge but it might be worth trying. I seem to remember that there's a design difference in earlier and later gauges ( I.e. 30s - 60s) but that may just be an incorrect memory on my part.

The other thing that would be a possibility would be to fit more baffles in the vicinity of the sender float to stop so much of the fuel swaying from side to side.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Thanks for the input Simon, have been in touch with Carwood re using a voltage stabiliser ,and am currently awaiting a reply from the chap who managed to get my Fuel Gauge working.
As for fitting Baffles in the Tank, well that’s not really an option without cutting it appart, and not really a road that I wish to go down ,

Best wishes & many thanks, Al 😊😊

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

JT7196 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 pm Hi Chaps, at long last I actually have a Petrol Gauge that works 😀😀😀
To be honest the Furl Gauge does waver when the car is in motion (Anybody got any ideas on how to dampen it down a bit) ?
But even do, it’s nice to have at least some idea how much fuel is in the Tank 😀😀😀
Cheers Al
Slow down a bit, no fast weaving in and out of traffic :D
Why worry about it. You stop every now and then and the gauge will stop moving.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi John, yes Yer probably right, but you must know by now, that I’m a chap who “try’s” to seek perfection, and just thought that I would ask the question !
I can’t tell you how happy I am with the overall performance of this “New” Engine, especially with the SU fitted, seems to have made such a difference .
Taking her up to Thornbury Classic Car Show,
On the Sunday the 15th, via Wotton-under-Edge, to pick up a Stella & Kelvin Bond ( Fellow Lanchester Owners) then, back to Wotton-under-Edge, and back to Yeovil, a round trip of circa 200 miles.
Should be quite an “ Exciting” journey and probably a very long day , got a “Rest” day on the 16th, then flying out to Egypt for a holiday the following day, “ Phew” its all go !!!

Cheers Al 😊😊

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

JT7196 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 am ... then flying out to Egypt for a holiday the following day, “ Phew” its all go !!!

Cheers Al 😊😊
Next job ... get one of those clip-on wing and propeller kits like the Bond film (perhaps the film's original is in store somewhere). :D