Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation after nr. as this negates search.

Engine woes. ! !

JT7196

Re: Engine woes. ! !

Post by JT7196 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 pm

x

bop

Post by bop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 am

Hi Al,
I am slowly rebuilding my Daimler 15 engine which looks to be a similar build to yours. The following is how I replaced the pistons/rings on my engine. (Note crankshaft was removed)

1.Put piston into cylinder from the top (using ring compressor), with only the bottom oil ring installed below wrist pin (may not need to put any rings in depending on piston type)
1a.JPG
Make sure piston wrist pin hole is visible!
2. Feed con rod through bottom of engine. Install wrist pin. Slide assembly down so bottom of piston is flush with bottom of cylinder. Now tighten wrist pin bolt (75 in/lbs) and bend over locking tabs.
111a.JPG
Move assembly back up the cylinder so ring groves are visible.
11a.JPG
Install piston rings and using ring compressor slide piston assembly part way down cylinder. Do same for all cylinders
3. Install crankshaft and main bearings. Move first con rod down until it reaches crankshaft at bottom of stroke. Install con rod bolts and tighten bearing cap. Do same for all cylinders

I'm Canadian "Hey", so pardon the terminology! Wrist pin = gudgeon pin etc.

Tar Bob

JT7196

Post by JT7196 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 am

Hi Bob, thanks for the super pictures etc, I’m pretty sure the it is impossible to fit the Pistons this way on the “Eleven” engine, as the Conn Rod is not long enough to allow the Gudgeon Pin to be inserted fron the top.
When I strip the engine for inspection, I’ll experiment just to make sure, but I’m pretty sure I’m right .
We will see. ! !
Will remove and strip engine on my return from Australia at the end of February.
I will also take some pictures, which may help others when stripping / rebuilding their engines.

Cheers Alan :D U

PS , It may be possible if I were to purchase a set of Pistons without the Oil Control Ring below the Gudgeon Pin.
We shall see.........😊
Last edited by JT7196 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grahamemmett

Post by grahamemmett » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:00 pm

I have to say, the shared expertise on this forum is incredible. A wonderful repository of knowledge.
Graham Emmett
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)
https://www.db18.org

bop

Post by bop » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi Al,
Stumbled across this topic on the old forum
http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/topic.a ... am,bearing
It might give you some ideas

Bob