Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Removing paint from Lanchester LA11

sp250boy

Removing paint from Lanchester LA11

Post by sp250boy »

Hi
What’s the best way to remove rusty old black paint from my Lanchester 1939. I tried 80 grit with an air driven DA orbital sander. This is going to take me months of work, using this method.

Also once the old paint and primer is removed and surface is smooth, the metal is still brown in colour. Do I need to keep sanding to remove this or just treat it with the appropriate primer.
It is a Lanchester

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Removing paint from Lanchester LA11

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

On a steel body the quickest - and probably messiest - way to remove paint back to metal is with paint stripper. Unfortunately modern strippers have been emasculated by EU regulations but something like [url=
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-I ... ctupt=true]this[/url] should do the job with a few applications.

If there is still surface rust present after stripping, treating with Eastwood Fast Etch prior to priming should avoid any corrosion after painting. This liquid is very low viscosity and a 16oz bottle should do most of the car.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Thanks Nick,
I bought some Nitro Mors, which melts the black paint and primer away. Very expensive, I’ve ordered some of the industrial stuff you recommended, so hopefully it should be ready for priming in a couple of weeks...
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve , I sanded mine down to bare metal then applied a coating of a product named Rustroy which I suspect would not be available to the “ General public” but it did turn the whole body shell both inside and out Black.
Here we are 42 yer on, and not a trace of corrosion anywhere !!😂😂

Cheers Al 😊😊

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Thanks Al,
I have been using Aqua Steel for the interior, which oxides and turns things black. It was the best rust inhibitor that my research could find.

So will use that for the exterior too
It is a Lanchester

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Go 40 grit with good quality discs then you will make progress, be careful with air driven sander, too fast speed will make too much heat which is not good. Electric sander not too fast is what I used, EL24 back to bare metal.

Ron

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, unless the environment is absolutely moisture free, then I suggest that you sand down one panel at a time and then treat it with the rust Inhibitor immediately, then move onto the next one .

Cheers Al 😊😊

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, if you have removed the Door Cards, remove any rust and debris treat with Rust Killer and then paint the inside of the doors , apply wood preserver to the wood frame especially the part at the bottom, also making sure that the drain holes are clear.
Afterwards, apply Waxoil to the inner Door Skin , making sure that it penetrates between the Door Skin and the lower part of the wooden frame at the bottom, having done that I purchased a length of " T" section window Sealing strip, and inserted it between the lower Door Frame woodwork and the Door Skin, this was to help prevent ingress of water.

Hope this helps .. Al :) :) :)