Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA 11 REAR LEAF SPRINGS

wrooms

LA 11 REAR LEAF SPRINGS

Post by wrooms »

After a 3 month period of major work including building a new stainless steel exhaust and water pipes, today was the day for the first test drive. Everything went perfectly, the engine is smooth and quiet, all of the handling is excellent, the brakes feel just right and NO leaks.

Just as I was parking there was a loud noise from the rear and a slight list to starboard appeared. Back into the garage and back up on the axle stands. First thoughts were that the spring hanger brackets were loose and then I realised that the 2 rear leaf springs did not look the same. Closer inspection has revealed the driver's side rear leaf spring has snapped at the rear eye end - glad it happened when parking!!

So, does anyone have a set of rear leaf springs they are prepared to sell or, does anyone have a good recomendation for a supplier? The car is a 1938 LA 11 and the registration is FGW 725. Any help will be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Simon

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: LA 11 REAR LEAF SPRINGS

Post by ranald »

Hi, You could try: https://www.jones-springs.co.uk/vintage-car-springs
There are others but i think i’ve seen Jones mentioned positively on this forum. All the best, Ranald

wrooms

Post by wrooms »

Dear Ranald,

Many thanks, I will try them out.

Best Regards

Simon

wrooms

Post by wrooms »

Dear All,

I followed the advice to use Jones Springs for the rear leaf springs on my LA 11 and I have to report that they were really very good. I took the springs to the factory and it is a well established organisation, mainly processing large lorry and coach springs but they were really very helpful at all times - absolutely not "Fred in a shed".

We had an initial glitch on refit (completely unforeseeable) but they never stopped supporting me with help and advice and we solved the technical issues. Very satisfying to get real service and support.

Simon

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Simon, Thanks for taking the trouble to report back on the forum. Always nice to hear positive stories. All the best, Ranald