Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1934 LA10 Oil Leak

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

1934 LA10 Oil Leak

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, I have recently completed an engine top end overhaul, including fitting a replacement Camshaft and Followers.
Since completion, Oil appears to be spraying from behind the Starting Handle Nut, when the engine is gunning, the Nut was not disturbed during the changing of the Camshaft etc, so have no idea why this leak should suddenly have started.
Could this be due to excessive Crankcase compression , I appreciate that having overhauled the top end of the engine should/ would have increased the compression in the cylinders , so could this have such a dramatic effect on the Crankcase compression causing the Oil leak ??
I look forward to reading your observations .............

Cheers Al 😊😊😊

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 1934 LA10 Oil Leak

Post by Norfolk Lad »

AL as no replies what about the breather but yet again should have been ok before , does seem strange could it be a new gasket blocking a vent hole .
Never worked on a LA10 so just a guess.

Peter

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Peter, wish it was that easy mate, but very unlikely .
Looks like I’m gonna have to take another trip up to Gloucester to try and see what’s causing this prob.

Cheers Al

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

Hi Al, might be worth trying, wash and clean the air silencer as this also acts as a crankcase breather. Cheers Frenchy.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Dave m yes this is exactly what what my old mate Geoff Millington has suggested , so will take a look when I’m up there next .

Cheers Al

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi Al, Are any of the camshaft bearings are pressure fed? is it possible that the new bearings with a finer tolerance is resulting in increased oil pressure and this in turn is finding a weaker part in the pressure fed system. My 15/18 has an oilway through the rear camshaft bearing allowing oil to route to the rocker shaft etc. Are you happy that oil is reaching the rocker shaft? Can you adjust the pressure ? I know some cars have an adjustment on the external pipe before it enters the rocker shaft. I cant see how improved cylinder compression can result in more pressure building in the crank case. Another thought, was your new camshaft identical, oil scrolls etc. No answers....just thoughts. All the best, Ranald

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Me again! Is the sump oil level full to the brim? Is it worth reducing the sump level to see if it still happens? Ranald

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi all, well Stella has contacted me and said that at the moment the “ leak” appears to have stopped .....very strange!
Oil level is correct and well below the Crankshaft level, oil reaching Rockers ok , no adjustment for Oil flow to the Rockers, you may remember from my own past experiences , that adjusting the oil flow resulted in oil started to leak past the Rear Main ! ! So not going there again 😂😂😂!
So we will just have to wait and see what happens when we take the car up the road for a run.

Cheers Al