Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 12/6 engine advices

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Lanchester 12/6 engine advices

Post by Culbu »

Hi guys,

I almost finished to dismantle my 12/6 engine and I have a couple of questions concerning the re-assembly.

Does someone know if there is a risk to push the piston and the connecting rod too far in the cylinder head and so to block them by opening of the first ring into the combustion chamber (larger than the cylinder) ? I ask this question because I did it a couple of months ago on a 1910 Brasier 20HP engine ("blind engine" in French but I don't know the expression in English) and I would not like to do it again !!

Thanks,

Julian

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Lanchester 12/6 engine advices

Post by Culbu »

Good evening,

If I have been a little bit more curious and have a look into the cylinder, I would never asked this question. The Lanchester engineers were more ingenious than the Brasier ones !! Thanks to them, it's impossible to block a piston and its connecting rod into a cylinder if it is pushed too deeply, and that for 2 reasons : the first one is there is just before the combustion chamber a cast piece which stops the piston ; and the second reason is that the cylinder and the combustion chamber get the same bore, so impossible for the first ring to open itself into the chamber.

I'm so relieved because the last time I blocked a piston into a "blind engine", it cost me £1500 to destroy it without damage the cylinder and the connecting rod, and to order a new piston custom-made !

Bye

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Lanchester 12/6 engine advices

Post by Culbu »

Has anyone already seen and/or used these special Lanchester tools ? Of course it's possible to do without them but I would be very interested in purchasing them...
IMG_0152.jpeg