Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Solid state (facet) fuel pump.

Isadora1936

Solid state (facet) fuel pump.

Post by Isadora1936 »

Hello everyone,
I recently posted a query about the fuel pump on my 1936 LA14. In answer to my own question, this may be of interest for future reference,
My fuel pump wasn't working even though it gave all outward signs of doing so, (Noisy vibrating etc). After fitting a new one yesterday all is well.
Does anyone know of a modern thermostat that will fit the housing on my radiator as it doesn't have one.

Thanks, Frank.

Simon Hyslop

Re: Solid state (facet) fuel pump.

Post by Simon Hyslop »

This answer may be a bit like some of Jeremy Clarkson's "Ask the host "answers, not the most useful, but here goes. After I had bought my first Lanchester 10, one Sunday morning early on I took it for a quick drive early in the morning. I had decided to "turn up" the thermostat a bit so it would run slightly warmer. It certainly ran warmer, as the water boiled and I cracked the head. A fortuitous piece of luck lead to me finding a spare head 17 miles from home but it was completely bare so everything had to be taken off the one, including the valve guides, and reinstalled in the other. Since then I have made sure that anything pre war with an early type of adjustable thermostat has had it removed.

I appreciate your circumstances with this 14 are somewhat different but unless you are using your car in extremely cold conditions or going on nothing but short journeys, the lack of a thermostat can be largely overcome by allowing the engine to warm up before setting out. I know it's supposed to be bad for engines running them cold but, to be honest, many pre war Austins have done that all their lives, there being no thermostats on many, and don't seem to have suffered greatly.

It's only my view but I'd leave the thermostat out and enjoy the benefits of one less component to fail.

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks Simon,
Yes, I'm inclined to agree, but I thought that I'd put the question out there. I've had enough of boiling radiators, as a result of which I've just
had the radiator re cored.

Thanks again.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Frank, in answer to your Thermostat query, yes it is possible to fit a modern one into the original Housing as I have done on my LA 11.
You may ? have to remove the original Brass Rod that runs in the centre, just cut it off on the inside leaving the original external retaining Nut in place.
I would suggest fitting a modern Waxstat rather than the original “Bellows” type, as it takes up less room.
When I had my engine reconditioned at the beginning of this year, the Engineering company, gave the Cylinder Block a thorough cleaning, and now the engine never overheats, even if left idling for over 3/4 of an hr, and I believe this really is the answer to most overheating problems, being that most Cylinder Blocks carry a lot of debris that prevent adequate water circulation .

Cheers Alan 😊😊

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks Alan.

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Al,
Do you know what modern Waxstat thermostat that you fitted?

I bought a modern Waxstat thermostat, but it was too big to fit in the brass thermostat housing!

best regards
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve ,sorry forgot about the fact that I mounted the Thermostat against the Face of the housing, along with a suitable Gasket that fitted snugly around it, thus keeping it in position, when the securing Bolts were tightened .
Been like that for many years with absolutely no problems 😊
Cheers Al 😊😊