Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Oil level in fluid flywheel.

Isadora1936

Oil level in fluid flywheel.

Post by Isadora1936 »

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to check the level of oil in the flywheel, as I understand getting the right level is critical and I don't have the appropriate
dipstick, which it mentions in the manual. I also understand that too little oil leads to 'slipping' under load.

Thanks, Frank.

qantasqf1

Re: Oil level in fluid flywheel.

Post by qantasqf1 »

Dipstick? There isn’t one for the FF. To fill the FF rotate the engine until one of the filler plugs is at the12 o’clock position. Fill the FF until oil overflows.
If you mean the gearbox oil level (which has a dipstick) it should be marked on the dipstick.
Steve

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks Steve,

That would have been my instinct when topping up the FF. However in the original maintenance manual (attached), you'll see that it states
'dipstick', which is a bit confusing. Also I remember reading that if the FF is overfilled, the pressure can blow the gland.

Thanks again, Frank.
20200622_083840~2.jpg

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi not sure what model you are talking about, but as far as I’m aware, the usual rule of Thumb is to fill the Fluid Flywheel to the base of the Threads.
I do recall a type of Dipstick, that consisted of a small flat plate, with a pointer sticking out, which was probably just long enough to reach the base of the threads .

Cheers Al 😊😊

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

As Steve says, on page 65 of the "Handbook for the Daimler 2½-Litre Consort Saloon and Special-Sports Coupe" it simply says "Turn the engine with the starting handle until one of the two filler plugs appears opposite the inspection hole. Remove the plug with the special key provided. Top up until it overflows, using the flywheel gun provided." Maybe they lowered the filling hole slightly on the Daimler 2½-Litre Consort (and earlier DB18) so that it's unnecessary to require a dipstick ?

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks, I think I have been influenced by a bit of misinformation that's out there. My main concern was whether it's possible to overfill the FF.

Thanks again.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, that’s why I suggested just filling to the bottom of the Threads, if you fill to overflowing, not only is it a waste of Oil, but it will run down inside the Bell Housing, and will make a nice mess on your floor !, 😂😂

Cheers Al

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Hi Al,

Thanks for your input. My concern about overfilling was because I read an article in Classic car weekly by Fuzz Townsend, regarding FF.
He say's that putting too little oil in causes slipping, and too much can blow the gland seals when the oil heats under pressure, (which was my main concern). I decided to get a definitive answer and so phoned Whitehouse autos and spoke to a very helpful chap called Graham who informed me that
it's impossible to overfill the FF and to do as everyone is suggesting. Typical of me to overthink it!
Thanks again, Frank.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Frank, I always use Castrol XL 30 for both Gearbox and F/Flywheel, but others will no doubt say that any 30 Grade will do, and even some advise, that you can use a 20/50, but personally never tried it .

Cheers Al 😊😊

Isadora1936

Post by Isadora1936 »

Thanks Al.