Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Indicators

sp250boy

Indicators

Post by sp250boy »

Gent's,
Time to wire the headlights on my Lanchester La11 1939.

I need to fit indicators front and rear and just wondered what type lenses others have fitted.

I have fitted the auto sparks wiring loom with the indicator modification, so its just a case if drilling the holes and fitting the indicators.
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Indicators

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve, I fitted replacement LED Bulbs into my Semaphore’s , and they are very effective , and don’t spoil the originality of the car.
Cheers Al. 😀😀

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Al,
thanks for your reply..

It a question of safety against originality in my opinion..
Trafficators are on the side and most people would be looking at the front or rear of the car...

But your point got me thinking..

My replacement wiring loom was made to accommodate front and rear indicators. Could the bullet side light be used as an indicator rater than a side light, or change it to a dual purpose... not sure it that would be legal or not.
It is a Lanchester

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Sidelights do help other drivers see you - which is their primary function. There are times when using them is required by law. In the UK, you're required to use them when parking a car on the road at night, when the speed limit is 30mph or greater.

I think this is the answer for me is to turn the side light to dual use indicators and a switch to turn them to side lights if required.
It is a Lanchester

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,
Could you put in either a dual filament bulb or fit two bulbs in the side lights, one flashing and orange and the other white and non flashing so that the fitting works as both side lights and indicators?
That wold be a neat solution.
I have also seen quite a few fifties' era Rolls Royce Cars here where the front fog;lights have been wired to be both fixed and flashing lights for indicators.
Of course the law may be different in England.
Cheers
Peter Grant
Sydney.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi , perhaps something like this:-
8837C5FE-DFB0-4F25-9973-69CE05039828.png
Of course, you will also need to fit these Rear Lights that incorporate an Amber Lens, as Rear Red Flashing Indicators Would be illegal in this country .
5AA1CDC8-B8CB-4ADF-AA36-EF5377F7E4D2.png

Cheers Al 😊😊

Vulgalour

Post by Vulgalour »

A common misconception. The MoT regulations on direction indicators here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... -equipment permit red rear indicators and white front on a vehicle used before the 1st of Septemer 1965, and the rear indicators may be combined in the same unit as the brake light, as is more common for North American vehicles.

That said, if visibility in modern traffic is the concern, fitting something that's legal and period correct is not necessarily what's required and additional amber indicators in a more conventional (for modern drivers) location is certainly more sensible.