Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Any advise when getting bumpers chromed?

dxc

Any advise when getting bumpers chromed?

Post by dxc »

Hi - I've been gradually sorting out a number of bits on my LA14/2. Next up will be to have the bumpers chromed. At present, there is no chrome left on them. Any recommendations as to how to do this well, or what to avoid? Any recommendations for where to have this done?
Attachments
Painted front bumper
Painted front bumper

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Any advise when getting bumpers chromed?

Post by classiclife »

Hello,

Looks a very decent car from the photo.

Derby Plating is a very good company - not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for especially in that field.

http://derbyplating.co.uk/

I have always found them very helpful and certainly worth a call; in addition you are well placed to their location being about an hour away.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hello, I’m not familiar with this particular model. Your photo isn’t clear. Does the starting handle fit under / over or through the bumper? Presumably it has been painted over the chrome. Have you tried removing the paint from a small area. My own (1933) car always had black painted bumpers with chrome detail although I think this is unlikely for your car. All the best, Ranald

dxc

Post by dxc »

Hi Richard - I will follow up your recommendation.

Hi Ranald - The bumpers were painted white when I bought the car earlier this year. I removed the paint to see what was underneath, but there was no chrome (front or rear). I painted them black as a short term option, until I had enough time to arrange to get them plated properly. The starting handle (if used) passes through the middle of the bumper.

The bumper end caps are a bit battered. Does anybody know where these can be obtained? Part Number B3010.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Make sure they are what is called triple plated. A layer of copper is put down first, polished back to remove imperfections, perhaps more copper added, polished again, then a layer of nickel, polished again and then finally a layer of chrome. The key to a good result is the work that goes into the first 2 layers.
Another company that I can recommend is Silvabronz, although in Alton they are a bit further away from you.
You may also get blinded with science about old hard chrome and new chrome. The old chroming method was what is called hexavalent chrome which is highly toxic and is now banned in the automotive industry. The replacement is trivalent chrome plating which is not quite as hard as hexavalent but is perfectly adequate for decorative purposes such as bumpers. Companies that wanted to do trivalent chroming had to replace their entire chroming tanks etc. as it was not possible to do trivalent chroming in a hexavalent setup.
A drawback originally of trivalent chrome was its colour which was slightly different from the original hexavalent chrome and has led to a myth growing up that the newer chrome method is not as good as the old method. Good chromers will now use additives to adjust the colour and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

dxc

Post by dxc »

Hi Chris - thanks for the advise. I've seen several views on the need to lay down a copper layer - I guess that you get what you pay for in the end. Thanks for the info about the change in process. I know some restorers go for Nickel platting to get the colour right. I have also found that manufacturers changed the plating process through the 30's - i.e. one has to match the vintage with the processes being used at the time. I'll update this post if I find out anything else. - DC