Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA10 Interior Removal Help

lilykill

LA10 Interior Removal Help

Post by lilykill »

Hello all, looking to strip the rear interior so I can clean and rust treat the skin of the body and treat what wood frame I can see.

I can see that the leather that is covering the steel is pinned but the main arm rest in both corners have what looks two large brass/copper rivet near the bottom. Is this just pinned to the wood frame also, is it just a case of applying pressure under the head to pry it off.
I have attached an image highlighting the pins/rivets I'm talking about.
Attachments
20210324_141449 - Copy.jpg

sp250boy

Re: LA10 Interior Removal Help

Post by sp250boy »

Hello,
Not sure what these pins are for as I have nothing like this on my LA11.

What I do know is that most fixings going into wood are fatigued/rusted or compromised in some way. Also most of the plywood, if original would be falling apart.

My suggestion would be gently pry and if that didn't work drill them out. I guess the main priority is to save the leather.

Good luck..
It is a Lanchester

lilykill

Post by lilykill »

sp250boy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pm Hello,
Not sure what these pins are for as I have nothing like this on my LA11.

What I do know is that most fixings going into wood are fatigued/rusted or compromised in some way. Also most of the plywood, if original would be falling apart.

My suggestion would be gently pry and if that didn't work drill them out. I guess the main priority is to save the leather.

Good luck..
Ye thats what I was thinking.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,
On the DB 18 saloons the rear arm rests have a bolt securing them to the body which has to be released by undoing a nut located in the rear wheel well.
Have you checked if this pin is the same and actually goes through to the exterior of the car secured by a nut and washer?
Cheers
Peter Grant

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, Going off the subject a bit, As I was studying your photo I thought that pleated leather was unusual for an armrest so I had a look in Chris Clark’s book and there is one picture of an LA10 interior (attached) . The car pictured shows pleated trim behind the actual armrest which itself is plain leather. Has your car been altered or is this an original feature?
C23785E4-1FE2-4781-A30C-2F1E0F6EC5E5.jpeg
All the best for your refurbishment. Ranald

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

DSC00464.JPG
These armrests are original as my car, built 1932, has exactly the same pattern of pleats and fixing places. The only difference is that if these were originally rivets, they have been replaced with round headed slotted screws and a washer under the head. I have tried turning one but it is very stiff. I cannot see any sign of it coming through the inner wing so I presume it screws into the woodwork of the frame.

I was going to make some suggestions as to how they might be removed but I think these would be superfluous given the skills I surmise you already have. Hopefully the material and armrest come away once the heads are removed and it may then be possible to extricate the remains of the fastenings and replace them with something similar to what is on my car, possibly even better executed.

I'm afraid that published photographic detail of the differences between the early 30s and middle 30s cars in detail is a bit thin on the ground but this is another example that these differences do indeed exist.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, surely the Armrests, would have been held in position with screws up under the Wheel Arch, I’m pretty certain that’s how their held on my LA 11

Cheers Al 👍👍

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Yes, but your car is about 5 years later and the design differences in Mulliner's work changed quite dramatically over the time. We've two cars on here, probably months if not weeks between them, and quite coincidentally they have virtually the same fitting of the original leather. That's not a coincidence. It's a bit like looking at a Rover SD1 from 1978 and a Rover P6 3500S from 1977. Same name, same factory, same designer, same engine, completely different in every other respect. You'd fail to rebuild a P6 if your only reference was an SD1.