Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

3D Printed Air Silencer Pipe

lilykill

3D Printed Air Silencer Pipe

Post by lilykill »

As I continue to look for the connection pipe I thought I would quickly model and 3D print one just so when I get it running I have something in place, see attached images.
Printed it PLA as it wont be too hot where its located and I gave the outside a coat of Pewter coloured 'Rub-n-Buff' just so it looks the part.

I searched and found little to no use of 3d printing on the forum so hopefully I will introduce it a bit more with my project.
Attachments
20210422_170508.jpg
20210422_170502.jpg
20210422_170456.jpg

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: 3D Printed Air Silencer Pipe

Post by Brian-H »

I'm very interested in this.

I know absolutely nothing about 3D printing - I presume that 3D printing is out of the question for a large plywood part as shown in the last 3 pictures in this post viewtopic.php?p=36311#p36311 - but I bet it could be useful for making smaller parts for the interior trim that are made from plywood and which, as I've found out, tend to fall apart as you remove the interior trim.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

A few years ago there was a post for EL24 cylinder heads.
A lot work went into designing and programming to 3D printing the sand for the foundry to be able to cast new heads.
It was in many ways a good idea as it saved having wooden/ resin pattern equipment to store.
I think a couple of heads have been cast, machined and fitted
Hopefully all went well and the owners are enjoying their cars again.

lilykill

Post by lilykill »

Brian-H wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:37 am I'm very interested in this.

I know absolutely nothing about 3D printing - I presume that 3D printing is out of the question for a large plywood part as shown in the last 3 pictures in this post viewtopic.php?p=36311#p36311 - but I bet it could be useful for making smaller parts for the interior trim that are made from plywood and which, as I've found out, tend to fall apart as you remove the interior trim.
For your plywood piece, it could be done by bonding several items together and having steel rods for a back bone inside it but my only concern would be the longevity of the item in 10+ years. I've had some mechanical items I've printed for 5+ years and they're ok but I could have tried them to help with moisture absorption. The main two things that will degrade a 3D printed part and make it more brittle is moisture absorption and UV light. If you were to paint and lacquer it it could do for some time but its hard to say.
Can this part be easily replaced if you did need to replace it again?

lilykill

Post by lilykill »

Marcel Renshaw wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:26 am A few years ago there was a post for EL24 cylinder heads.
A lot work went into designing and programming to 3D printing the sand for the foundry to be able to cast new heads.
It was in many ways a good idea as it saved having wooden/ resin pattern equipment to store.
I think a couple of heads have been cast, machined and fitted
Hopefully all went well and the owners are enjoying their cars again.
Yes sand printing for engine casting is an awesome adaptation of 3D printing. Did they actually sand print or 3d model and print the positive core for the head?

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

lilykill wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 am For your plywood piece, it could be done by bonding several items together and having steel rods for a back bone inside it but my only concern would be the longevity of the item in 10+ years. I've had some mechanical items I've printed for 5+ years and they're ok but I could have tried them to help with moisture absorption. The main two things that will degrade a 3D printed part and make it more brittle is moisture absorption and UV light. If you were to paint and lacquer it it could do for some time but its hard to say.
Can this part be easily replaced if you did need to replace it again?
Well that's something that I've learned about 3D printing. Making the moulds by 3D printing might be a good idea, and then the parts themselves out of carbon fibre ? But I wonder which way the balance tips in terms of time and cost, between making non-complex moulds by 3D printing vs by hand.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The cost factor of 3D printing depends on numbers of components required.
On very small numbers 3D printing has some advantages over pattern making.
Printing is getting cheaper as the technology improves the number of materials available is also increasing.
The limiting factor currently is number of foundries with printing facilities.
I believe the heads had the sand printed to create the cores and the external features to facilitate casting.
A new sand print needed for each head.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

That is very impressive Daniel so real. Clever stuff.
Syd

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, very impressed with the “Connection” Pipe, just one thing sprung to mind when looking at your finished product, I could not see any means of holding it in place,
I presume, that you intend to produce some slots around the peripheries , then use a suitable Clamp to hold it in position ?
As you can see, I used a couple of Hose Clips, as these seem to work well
1A0B9003-4C4B-4633-8361-8F2AB3AA4ABA.jpeg
Cheers Al👍👍

lilykill

Post by lilykill »

JT7196 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:04 pm Hi, very impressed with the “Connection” Pipe, just one thing sprung to mind when looking at your finished product, I could not see any means of holding it in place,
I presume, that you intend to produce some slots around the peripheries , then use a suitable Clamp to hold it in position ?
As you can see, I used a couple of Hose Clips, as these seem to work well
1A0B9003-4C4B-4633-8361-8F2AB3AA4ABA.jpeg

Cheers Al👍👍
Ye at the moment its just a prototype and when I get it closer to it being on the road I will make a better one till I can get the actual part or get one made.