Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Vintage mode of a 1903 12 hp Lanchester

Craigy

Vintage mode of a 1903 12 hp Lanchester

Post by Craigy »

DSC_0028.JPG
Hi I recently aquired a model of what I now know is a 1903 10 hp Lanchester.As can be seen it requires some restoration. I have balanced the headlamps on the front mudguards for the purpose of the pictures as the mounting bracket at the front is missing. The model appears to be at 1:8 scale and is made of wood and metal. The wheel rims are like the real thing, pressed steel rims with the word 'Patent' on the central bosses. There are no other markings anywhere. The front seats hinge forward as does a panel to what would be the engine compartment for the air cooled engine. There is are no mechanics modelled inside, rather a padded silk lined space that I assume is intended to keep trinkets or jewellery in. This is in tattered condition with age although the yellow body finish with coachlining is in very good condition. It has a wealth of detail including a sprung loaded brake/accelerator? pedal , working tillar operated steering, suspension and transmission detailing, rear opening panel to allow access for rear passengers. Real leather seat covering. I wonder why the maker omitted to make these button backed as the real thing considering the huge amount of detail bestowed on the rest of the model. If anybody out there has a similar model or could possibly shed any light as to which company may have made it, Id love to hear from you. I usually collect toy trains but liked the look of it so bought it. My own feeling is that it could have been made in Germany but this is only a hunch. I estimate it's age to be mid 1920's.
Attachments
DSC_0027.JPG
Front view
Front view
Side view
Side view
Last edited by Craigy on Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Vintage mode of a 1903 12 hp Lanchester

Post by simonp »

An interesting purchase. I would suggest it is probably worth more kept unrestored.

Never seen anything quite like it and my initial reaction would be that it may be a home build from an enthusiast or model maker.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Craigy

Re: Vintage mode of a 1903 12 hp Lanchester

Post by Craigy »

Thanks Simon. I too feel the same about keeping it original, I love the way the wheels have rusted and the perished tyres! I am just going to pull it together a bit for now by making a new mounting bar for the lamps. The steering rack and also the king pins are missing. The wheels are held on with wire at the moment! As for the origin of the car, I agree with you and would say that it has been professionally built, the apron thingy at the front is made of moulded leather and the lamps really are well engineered masterpieces in their own rite. I will upload some more pics soon.