Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 11 Ammeter wanted

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Lanchester 11 Ammeter wanted

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, just fitted my newly reconditioned Voltage Regulator ( Many thanks Chaps for pointing me in the right direction) .
My problem is, the Ammeter is very slow in moving, so I am looking for a replacement unit as it appears that the problem with my mine may be very difficult to remedy if not impossible ,is anybody out there able to help please ?

Cheers A'l

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Lanchester 11 Ammeter wanted

Post by theoldman »

Speedograph Richfield once more????

N.
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Neil, they did take a look at it when I sent the whole unit to them last time to get the Water Temp Capillary Tube repaired.
The chap said at the time that he was not sure if they could sort it, but I will call them and see what they think.

Cheers A'l

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello Al, any chance of a picture of what the ammeter looks like please? It's one of those combined units, isn't it, with three instruments in the one gauge. Off the top of my head, I'd have thought that, possibly even as a temporary measure, there was a chance that the ammeter portion of an Austin 12 (New Ascot) or 10 (Cambridge) from 1937-39 may have fitted if it's a Smiths/Jaeger unit. Ignore the following if it's made by AC ! Something like this ?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRE-WAR-SMITH ... Sw2ENW69io

I know, it's not the cheapest but they turn up quite often (or used to!) on ebay and nearly every decent autojumble had one for sale. I don't know if it would maybe do or not but the basics of all these units were a common mechanism just labelled Smiths or Jaeger depending on the car maker they were destined for.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, here is a photo of my Gauge.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2 ... directlink

Cheers A' l

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thank you for the picture. So it is an AC unit. That explains the difficulty in finding one. However, there is potentially some good news in that the unit as a whole looks to be as close a copy as AC could come up with of the Smiths unit. There is probably a bit of variation in the colour of the ivory face but I wonder if it would be possible to take the mechanism out of a Smiths unit, including the pointer and swap it with that in the AC unit. I'm guessing you'd not want to live with a colour imbalance in the 3 sectors.

That would be my try at it, I think. I did something not too dissimilar in rebuilding the mechanism of a new Smiths dual gauge into the casing and face of a 1947 Jaeger unit over the winter, in case it all sounds like pie in the sky stuff. The only thing to watch with ammeters is to try and not bend the needle too much as you want them to lie nice and straight and central once it's back together. Of course, there is probably someone out there who has one but it could be a long wait. I'll have a look tomorrow in the "store" and see if I have one of the Smiths ammeters, even if just for the sizes. No promises but I'll write again if there is one.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Thanks for your help Simon.

Cheers A'l

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello Al, at least the memory isn't too bad, I thought there was a Smiths gauge somewhere. This is the ammeter from it, dated Sept 1938. When i took it out I saw immediately that the case and face are riveted together and the mounting screws pass through the rivets, which would make transplanting one face to another case a bit more awkward. However, if the whole thing was the same dimensionally as yours, one of them might be a stop gap till you found the right one.
DSC03768.JPG
DSC03767.JPG
The mounting holes are 60mm centres apart and the fixing screws are 6BA, shouldered down for the ammeter so they're a good fit in the rivets which are 6mm i.d. Without the two fixing "wings, the unit is approx 50mm long and 40mm high.

Well, it's a suggestion anyway !
Attachments
DSC03766.JPG
DSC03765.JPG

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, thanks very much for your time in trying to assist me in locating a replacement Ampmeter.
I think I will contact Speedograph again and see what they say before embarking down another avenue.
Best wishes, A'l

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Well, having recently taken the old dear (The car that is !) for a 120 + mile run last Monday, although the ammeter is still a bit slow, it is working Ok, and with the modified Voltage Regulator fitted, no matter what I have in use ,i.e. Electric Cooling Fan + Head/Side Lights on, it always now shows a charge , so without doubt, it was certainly worth the money having it overhauled, and would certainly recommend this modification.

Cheers A'l