Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

BSA Top Gear Noise

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: BSA Top Gear Noise

Post by migray »

The gear change pedal returns to a different height for each gear when you select it. Is it possible it or the linkage is catching somewhere and vibrating against the floor, the speedo cable, the exhaust, etc when in top?
Does it do it when stopped in top?

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

The gear change pedal returns to it’s lowest point when top is selected. Could it be a weak return spring which works ok when returning the pedal to higher positions but just fails in the lowest position? Is the pedal bush well lubricated? Maybe the Length of the rod needs slight adjustment.

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

Hello, Migray.
Oddly enough, lying in bed last night, I wondered that myself. I haven't stayed in top when coming to rest, so I haven't noticed. That was to be my next "test". Drive It Day today, so I'll have another go and listen some more.
Keep the thoughts coming, I appreciate all the interest and input.
George.

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

ranald wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:08 am The gear change pedal returns to it’s lowest point when top is selected. Could it be a weak return spring which works ok when returning the pedal to higher positions but just fails in the lowest position? Is the pedal bush well lubricated? Maybe the Length of the rod needs slight adjustment.
It SOUNDS as though something within the gearbox is rattling/binding. Perhaps it is external. It is quiet with the pedal depressed. I've also noted a clicking/knocking from behind the dash (the mice are out, I think). Speedo drive, I thought?
Old cars, eh.
A few admirers at Brooklands yesterday. It was a good day for it. Not a vast turnout but good to see the place open again.

I'm giving the manual, that I was given the link to, a good looking at.
Many thanks,
George.

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

migray wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:34 am The gear change pedal returns to a different height for each gear when you select it. Is it possible it or the linkage is catching somewhere and vibrating against the floor, the speedo cable, the exhaust, etc when in top?
Does it do it when stopped in top?
Hello, again.
It doesn't make any noise in top gear when stationary. I've just come in after another Drive it Day runabout and some more lighting maintenance. From what you are saying I think I'll have a look underneath and see if anything might be fouling the gear change linkage that rotates when in motion. propshaft, for instance. Mmmm.
Cheers,
George.

Geocet

Post by Geocet »

It is definitely a noise from within the gearbox. I suspect that it might have been towed, at some point, by a previous owner. The last owner definitely had issues with the engine reliability and I wonder if it was towed anywhere? Just guessing. Most people tell me these boxes are very tough, unless towed with the engine not running. The input from the FF drives a gearbox oil-pump. If towed a long way at speed: gearbox seizure, at worst, with damage further on down the train as a result.