Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Help required. BSA 4 light Peerless Coupé pistons.

drinkwater

Help required. BSA 4 light Peerless Coupé pistons.

Post by drinkwater »

I require a set of pistons and rings for a BSA engine 1141cc.

I believe that British Leyland (mini) pistons with rings can be obtained and made to fit the BSA side valve engine. Are the gudgeon pins the same or do new phosphor bronze bushes need to be made to suit the little ends of the connecting rods?
Whom may I contact to obtain these?

Many thanks for any help that may be available, David Drinkwater.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Help required. BSA 4 light Peerless Coupé pistons.

Post by theoldman »

Try Thornton's in Wellington.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Dave Daniel

Post by Dave Daniel »

Hi Drinkwater
Your engine and the bsa trike/scout engine are based on the same design and share parts etc.
My scout has a 1204cc version which I fitted with BMC "A" series pistons. I used the 1098cc version which has a crown height 50thou lower than the bsa piston. The gudgeon pin is the same dia and all I had to do was grind a cut-out for the small end bolt. (I also kept the Bmc circlips)
Other A variants can also be used but the crown height is too high and needs machining down. My car had been fitted with Austin 10 pistons but someone had not eased out the small end bolt cut out and used standard BSF bolts instead which "worked", sheared and smashed the piston....
The BSAFWDC has some engine spares which might help you and I have a spreadsheet of A and BSA piston variants with calculated compression ratios and bore sizes etc. Want a copy?
Treasurer@bsafwdc.org

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

It's good to hear some BSA bits on the forum.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Dave Daniel

Post by Dave Daniel »

Hi Colin
The BSAFWDC has about 20 RWD car owners including my brother, currently also restoring a 10hp saloon in Cheshire, and our Chairman Peter Cook who is restoring the Works McEvoy Special (originally 2x supercharged RWD specials were built by BSA).
We've also got a sheaf of RWD works drawings in amongst the FWD ones.
I guess there's scope for more inter-club co-operation....
Cheers
Dave

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Would be good to have more BSA members on this forum seems a shame that so little happens in this section, would be nice to have local owners take part in local events
We have a Sherlock a French BSA owner who has posted on the forum but not seen him of late,we need and look forward to many more postings from our BSA brothers in Arms.

Peter

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Norfolk Lad wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 pm Would be good to have more BSA members on this forum ...
Peter
... plus photos please.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Chaps, great to see some welcome activity on the BSA forum.
I am organising a stand at Restoration Show that is being held at the Royal Bath & West Show ground on the 4th & 5th of November for the DLOC, the good news is, that I have managed to secure a1924 BSA E114 Saloon in original unrestored condition , I also have a 1933 Lanchester LA 10 & a 1934 Daimler 15hp both also in an unrestored condition, so do come and visit the stand , you may even get a cuppa and a biscuit !!
Chris Clark will also be there on the Saturday, promoting his latest edition of the “ Lanchester Legacy”

The Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6QN. The showground is easily accessible from the M5 and is situated along the A371 Castle Cary – Shepton Mallet road.

Chees A’l :D

John Chatfield

Post by John Chatfield »

Hi Al, is the restoration show on this year, if so when and are you in attendance?
Regards,
John

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

John Chatfield wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:43 pm Hi Al, is the restoration show on this year, if so when and are you in attendance?
Regards,
John
Yes, see Al's topic
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3948&sid=c5d5f3b9e ... 176d72ec06