Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Empress 2 for Sale

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Empress 2 for Sale

Post by watkindj »

Text and Pictures below copied from listing as link will expire so added for historical reasons (not responsible for spellings)

http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C866184
8708547.jpg
8708553.jpg
GRS189

£25,000 - As stated

Description
My very rare and beautifull daimler empress hooper bodied limo is now for sale, it has had a fortune spent on it over the years, the underside of the car is absolutely outstanding having not seen wet weather since its splendid restoration, the superb bodywork is navy blue over english cream, it has new period firestone whitewall tyres, the boot is outstanding with period jack and grease gun, the interior is a lovely place to be the woodword is in fine condition as are the new carpets, the grey leather is excellent with a fine patina,the engine bay is finely detailed, the chrome is excellent, some years ago the engine was replaced with a slightly more modern 60s same bhp and reliable vauxhall six cylinder and 3 speed hydramatic auto gearbox making it a nicer car to drive, a very rare and fine example of this daimler marque,
GRS 189
Last edited by watkindj on Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Empress 2 for Sale

Post by Petelang »

What a shame that the engine has been replaced with a Vauxhall unit?
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Since when does replacing the original engine and four speed pre-selector make it easier to drive?

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Clearly some of you poms are mad. Replace the number plates and it has a catastrophic effect on value. I found that out with a Q plate. But the wrong engine and transmission and still 25000 pounds!! In Australia you could not even register it as an historic vehicle like this.
In Australia it's value would slashed massively. Basically need to find a correct engine.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Noelex wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 pm Clearly some of you poms are mad. Replace the number plates and it has a catastrophic effect on value. I found that out with a Q plate. But the wrong engine and transmission and still 25000 pounds!! In Australia you could not even register it as an historic vehicle like this.
In Australia it's value would slashed massively. Basically need to find a correct engine.
I agree (not the mad bit) but a non original engine should, and probably will affect the value. I personally wouldn't buy it at any price for that reason but maybe I'm mad ;). I'm not against modification, well actually I am, but not against others who wish to modify, but to me the body and engine are the heart and soul of the car and are sacrosanct.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

I agree that a Daimler, coach built body or no, should have an original engine. However, how do members feel about something such as the SP450, V8450 or the bronze coloured Empress, for sale in Switzerland, fitted to a DQ chassis. Clearly none is original but at least they have Daimler engines.
There was the lovely DB18 green and cream Consort with a Mondeo engine, the recent 15 fitted with an MGB engine. Well, maybe that is taking things a bit far but at least the cars are still on the road.
What about the Mk 2 Jaguars that are fitted with 4.2 engines and I may be incorrect but isn't there the option of a supercharged engine that can be squeezed into a Mk 2 shell?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I think I'd rather banger race an original ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Oh Andy,
Wash your mouth out with sump oil!

On a serious note, I guess that eventually our cars will suffer from terminal engine failure, or fuel will be so prohibitively expensive that we will start to see more and more conversions or even hybrid systems being developed to fit into older cars.

A member here ran an EL 24 limousine until the engine developed terminal head corrosion and apart from making a new head it would have been impossible to run the car with the original engine.

He opted to fit a more modern ford six cylinder engine of 4.1 litre capacity and he reported that while the power ratio was about the same he lack of refinement with the new engine was palpable.

It was an interesting evaluation and made me realise how finely engineered the Daimler engines must have been.

I wonder what the comparison would be with the cars referred to in this thread with the same model with the original engine fitted.

Cheers from Sydney
Peter Grant

sherlock

Post by sherlock »

I agree, it's a shame a so nice and rare Daimler has a wrong engine. If I was rich, I could buy it only to refit a correct engine and give a chance to the old girl....
New Dexter wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 pm What about the Mk 2 Jaguars that are fitted with 4.2 engines and I may be incorrect but isn't there the option of a supercharged engine that can be squeezed into a Mk 2 shell?
And what about a Mk 2 Jaguar fitted with a 2.5 Daimler engine ? :mrgreen:

Sorry :oops:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a froggy, nobody is perfect

1934 BSA three wheeler - 1968 Daimler 250 V8 - 1993 Daimler XJ40 Majestic LWB

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Yes, it is a bit sad but isn't some of the reticence due to it being a Vauxhall engine?
What if, there being no alternative, a more up-market engine but affordable/available engine were fitted?
Say a Rover V8? I have a pal who used to run a Bristol 403 so engined as his daily driver and very civilised it was too!
Or the much more torquey 4 litre 3 carb Austin Princess engine as fitted to the Jensen 541R? Or even the 4 litre Rolls Royce engine used in the Vanden Plas Princess?
Al of these provide prodigeous amounts of torque which is in keeping with Daimler but would the gearbox stand up to it?
I think not!

What happened to the 4 1/2 litre option on the Regency?
That was the same sort of bhp as the contemporary RR Silver Cloud and I would have thought should have sold quite well.