Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine frost damage

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
swcoulthurst

Engine frost damage

Post by swcoulthurst »

Don't know if daimler and Lanchester suffer from the same as other early engines.

However, I would like to offer our services if it is allowed. We can repair cracks, holes and almost any damage to cast casings. We are currently in the process of repairing some 1920's rolls blocks which had cracked due to frost damage and broken off. Will post some pictures if interested.

Collection can also be arranged

We also get a lot of classic Bristol engines, again prone to same damage. If anyone needs any information reply to the post or PM me.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Engine frost damage

Post by Petelang »

You might pick up some work via the Armstrong Siddeley owners club. I've heard about a lot of frost damaged pre war engines on there quite recently. It's almost been an epidemic.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

It would be good to see your photos. What is the name of your firm? Thanks, Ranald

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Hi Ranald.

Will post some pics soon. Just struggling a bit at the moment till I find what size I can post. :?

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

swcoulthurst wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 pm Hi Ranald.

Will post some pics soon. Just struggling a bit at the moment till I find what size I can post. :?
1024 x 768 px and 100KB to 400KB is ample for a website. If your image is too large it may get rejected. Most images posted are in the 130KB to 160KB range.

Images are reduced to 400px wide initially but clicking on them makes them full size in Lightbox software.

Click Attachments below left of the post window, then click Add files which will open your computer's file list, highlight a file (preferably in a .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp or .gif format), click Open at the bottom of the window, wait for it to upload and it should show the filename in the original post page, put the cursor in the post where you want the photo and click Place inline which will add the filename inside [ attachment] [ /attachment] code. You can Add files several times.

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

This is the start of the 1920's Rolls block as it came in.

Cylinder being removed before new sections put in place. Then to be machined and bores refitted
IMG_1091.jpg
Bristol engine work in progress. Crack in block being cut out and prepared for new cast section to be inlaid.

20170719_153738_1501430552311_resized (1).jpg
Hopefully these pictures will come out ok

Will post others asap.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

A friend of mine has reconditioned an Austin 10 engine, only to find when fitted that there is a small weep from the water jacket in the block.

Might be a silly question, but could you say if he brought the car to you if you could repair the weep with the engine in the car?

Also could you supply contact detail. Syd

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Hi Syd.

Yes depending where the crack was and access to repair. We would first pressure/crack test then issue with a price to repair.

No obligation.

Regards
Stuart

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Sorry Syd. Missed the last bit. :o :roll:

Telephone number 01706 631253.

If I'm not available speak to Neil, either of us could answer your/your friends questions

Best regards
Stuart

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

progress on the broken block continues. Now been bored ready for the cylinder. The side now taking shape.
rolls 2.jpg
remember what it looked like before

rolls 1.jpg
Still a bit more to do yet but shows what can be achieved