Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Post by Stan Thomas »

A further problem to investigate is that of the gear change linkage adjustment, as opposed to the gear selection linkage mentioned above - for when it wears, it does not allow the bus bar to depress sufficiently for the brake band struts to release and select.

If that be the case, you need to undertake a simple adjustment - so proceed as follows:

From under the car, you will see a rod conecting the gear change pedal to the operating arm on the gearbox, which can be adjusted for length. Detatch it from the gearbox operating arm and shorten its effective length by screwing the swivel joint further onto the rod by a small amount.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Thank you very much Stan Thomas for your advice. I'll try just what I get on the jack. Unfortunately, I do not have a jack at home.

So far, I tried to shorten the pre-selector's rod. Reverse already works, but the 1st speed does not work. 2. 3. and 4. speed are working. I'll try to find a compromise. Hope dies last. :-)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The changes you describe when adjusting the pre-selector linkage are predictable, and what I would expect.

Return the linkage to the original setting at least for the time being.

Without being too technical, when you select a gear, a strut moves forward and touches a long very strong spring loaded plate to await engagement - its called a bus bar.

When you depress the gearchange pedal this bus bar is also depressed against the spring pressure so the strut for the gear you have selected moves even further forward over the top of the bus bar (the strut for any previous gear selected moving back). When you release the gear change pedal, the bus bar rises under this strong spring pressure, and the strut for the gear you selected activates the brake bands.

One common cause of your problem you describe is the bus bar is not being depressed enough for the reverse gear strut to engage. Just by way of illustration, think of it as having too thick a carpet so the gear change pedal does not operate to its full stroke.

This situation can arise when there is wear or mal-adjustment in the operating rod which links the gear change pedal with the gearbox arm - i.e. the gearbox arm needs to move further to depress the bus bar further so the strut for the gear you have selected can engage.

Pity you are so far away - I could check and adgust the linkage in less time than its taken to type this!!

Best of luck - and I hope my preditctions are correst - but its certainly worth a try.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Just re-read your post. Can you clarify what you mean when you now say reverse "already" works?

Do you mean it now works having re-set the gear change linkage whereas you had no reverses before?

If you can engage reverse (forget the other gears for a moment) then it is not gear pedal adjustment as I describe which is the problem.

Check out for wear in the gear selector rods.

Technically, the gear change mechanism is something of a design fault as there is no positive location of the gears on the gearbox itself - only the dedent on the gear position plate at the steering column end - so the rods can flop about when worn and give false selection.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Thank very much for you help and advice. I apologize for my poor English and inaccurate terms.
Initially, after selecting the reverse, pressing and releasing pedal, the change pedal not return, revers not activated. Stay neutral. Now I've shortened the rod from the pre-selector. Just a bit (2mm). Now it works reverse, 2., 3. And 4. speed, but 1st speed no. The pedal will return fully up after pressing and releasing.
I will have to check all the selector rods, according to your advice. I will try to eliminate the will. I did not know it was so sensitive.
Thanks again.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

I found some of the ball joints were worn, others had been replaced with brass and we're distorted. This meant the selector was sometimes not moving smoothly. I replaced all 6 with these http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-Joint-CS-D ... Ciid%253A7 which are similar to the original and seem robust. I needed to tap a couple of them more deeply to get the right lengths.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi "suri2"

Your on the right track, and yes the selector linkage is quite sensitive to adjustment, and a 2mm alteration would be a little too much.

As "migray" has done in the last post, check each joint for wear and replace if necessary. The whole mechanism is somewhat delicate to get just right.

Keep us posted!

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Thank you for your advice, gentlemen, and I will definitely write how it worked.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi all,
i want to wish you a merry Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Do you have any experience with Evans Coolants, please? Does it reasonably to use this cooling fluid in the Century? It's a little more expensive. Thanks.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

It's one of those things that polarises opinion; some people swear by it, others don't. I am in the latter category - I would not (yet!) use it and would urge caution if you are considering it. It was comprehensively discussed on the old forum, link here:

http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/topic.a ... =waterless