Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Isky, Piper and other performance camshafts for the 2.5 V8

Sonus

Isky, Piper and other performance camshafts for the 2.5 V8

Post by Sonus »

I am looking into performance camshafts for the Daimler V8. Piper can do a BP270 regrind. I have found mentions about Isky making a camshaft for the midget racers in the US that used the Daimler V8. Daimlersteve has had his camshaft altered to his specs I believe? I have been in touch with CatCams about a bespoke camshaft. Initial cost estimates has been blown out of the water, rising from a £600 estimate to £2000 after they received pictures of the original cam.

So who can give me some info on what is out there? Does anyone have an Isky cam? Are there other suppliers of performance camshafts for the Daimler 2.5 V8?

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Isky, Piper and other performance camshafts for the 2.5 V8

Post by Ian Slade »

Newman made a cam for the engine which I believe was designed for power boats, due to cavitation there was not much load on the engine and it quickly achieved max rpm with a narrow power band between 5500 and 7000rpm anything below 5500 lost considerable power, however it was still fairly economical on the road though for traffic lower gears were needed than the standard engine, 2" SU's were also fitted. I obtained this engine from a TVR Grantura the one with the MK1 Cortina rear lights.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Russ Carpenter has a street grind for a std. cam. Denis Stewart has a couple of Iski grinds. He may chose to comment here.
Otherwise you need VE of engine, revs for max hp. radius of cam follower, acceptable rates of acceleration, max lift rqd. head flows both inlet and exhaust at all lifts and crank timings , piston demand at all angles including max piston demand @around 76.4 # atdc due to rod/ stroke ratio to check the engine wont be short of air flow capacity in or out. Then you go to a cam man and trust him to do it right first time ( cos its an expensive experiment when youve built up a cam , ---------------Might be easier to go with Russ' option. Both the piper and Iski are older slower ramp profiles and lift is maximised at around .350" valve lift before the issue of casehardening thickness rears its ugly head. Its a bumma when a lobe losses its top.
Good luck, steve.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

I spoke to Isky yesterday and they have a lot of different grinds for the Daimler V8. They will get back to me next week with specs (I hope)

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

daimlersteve wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 pm Russ Carpenter has a street grind for a std. cam. Denis Stewart has a couple of Iski grinds. He may chose to comment here.
Otherwise you need VE of engine, revs for max hp. radius of cam follower, acceptable rates of acceleration, max lift rqd. head flows both inlet and exhaust at all lifts and crank timings , piston demand at all angles including max piston demand @around 76.4 # atdc due to rod/ stroke ratio to check the engine wont be short of air flow capacity in or out. Then you go to a cam man and trust him to do it right first time ( cos its an expensive experiment when youve built up a cam , ---------------Might be easier to go with Russ' option. Both the piper and Iski are older slower ramp profiles and lift is maximised at around .350" valve lift before the issue of casehardening thickness rears its ugly head. Its a bumma when a lobe losses its top.
Good luck, steve.
We are simulating the build using computer software to see what tweeks make which changes before we go ahead with the build. This is the reason I would like to collect as many available cam profile specs before we start building/buying parts. :)

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

hi sonus,
i'd be suprised if Iski or any other retailer will give you enough profile info the make a really informed decision.
You'd need a Cam-pro printout to compare graphs.
steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Whats you head flows ?
steve.
Ps. Dropped the new pistons and bearing into the machinist today, with any luck there might be some progress in the next few weeks.

RaynerJunior

Post by RaynerJunior »

Morning,

I have read all of the comments with great interest and look forward to the results from all the hard work that is going on. The one question that I do have at the moment is do we know why the CATCAMS price is so high? I know when I spoke to Newman CAMS some years ago that the problem area was the oil pump drive, just curious to know if CATCAMS have the same problem?

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

RaynerJunior wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 am Morning,

I have read all of the comments with great interest and look forward to the results from all the hard work that is going on. The one question that I do have at the moment is do we know why the CATCAMS price is so high? I know when I spoke to Newman CAMS some years ago that the problem area was the oil pump drive, just curious to know if CATCAMS have the same problem?
I didn't get a reason, but they would cast the new cam (GGG60-quality?) and remalt the surfaces, not machine it from a single blank.
They require cam followers and oil pump drive to make sure everything meshes.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

daimlersteve wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:41 am hi sonus,
i'd be suprised if Iski or any other retailer will give you enough profile info the make a really informed decision.
You'd need a Cam-pro printout to compare graphs.
steve
I hope they will as without it I am choosing cam in the blind