Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Spare Tyre / Boot Lid Problem !

Hedgie

DB18 Spare Tyre / Boot Lid Problem !

Post by Hedgie »

Daimler DB18 DHC 1950

We have just found a couple of problems with the Spare Tyre / Boot Lid

1- We cannot open the Boot Lid very far before it hits the tyre - probably halfway

2- The Spare Wheel will not come out through the lower lid space.

I just wonder what others have done when they found this problem, or is my spare tyre (which is the same as the other 4 tyres on the car) too big? See photo
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2641.JPG

Simon Hyslop

Re: DB18 Spare Tyre / Boot Lid Problem !

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I have been trying to read what make of tyre you have but unfortunately haven't managed to. If the problem is exclusively tyre related (and I'm assuming it is) it is a fairly common issue for various cars. Within the one tyre size, there are considerable differences among makers in each of diameter, tread width and section width.

The ideal tyre to have on the four wheels can turn out, today, to be a bit of a bother for the spare wheel compartment due to it being too big a diameter or too wide in the section for the width of the aperture it has to go through. One solution is to travel with the spare flat if that makes it small enough. Another is to buy a 'small' spare tyre, one of nominally the right size but at the other end of the dimensional range.
You will see statements such as 'I have the right tyres because I bought the original make' but the tyres made today by some firms are not the same pattern as was on the go when the cars were new. Avon Tourists are probably a good example as they tend to be at the higher end of diameters which may be too large for a spare wheel carrier. An Avon Duotread would have been a contemporary fitment but they are long extinct.

Most of the tyre companies list the dimensions of each tyre and with a bit of research the different possibilities become apparent.

Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

Hi Simon,
The Tyres are Avon Tourist 600 x 16, might this be the problem?

Can you recommend a smaller solution?

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I did think they looked like Avon Tourists but wasn't 100% sure. They're the largest 6.00 x 16 crossply made at present. 728mm diameter. I'm at work at present but will check through the possibilities later. The Excelsior 600x16 is about 711mm and the Wayfarer from VTS is 709mm. NorthHants Tyres are going to be selling a budget new tyre from December -TT classics or similar name. Their 600x16 will be £65 + VAT but I don't know its dimensions yet.
It's probably an idea to see if you can have a reasonable estimate of how much space you have to play with. By the way, Avon also do a 6 ply crossply which is smaller in diameter but slightly wider in the cross section.
Will write more lucidly later, just on a cheap phone at present !

Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

Hi Simon,
I checked with the supplier, Longstone Tyres, and found that I had fitted:-
Avon Tourist 600 x 16 Diameter: 719mm Width: 165mm

and that the following alternatives were available:-
Excelsior 600 x 16 Diameter: 711mm Width: 172mm
Waymaster 600 x 16 Diameter: 709mm Width: 175mm

Avon Tourist 550 x 16 Diameter: 691mm Width: 150mm
Excelsior 550 x 16 Diameter: 679mm Width: 114mm
Waymaster 550 x 16 Diameter: 695mm Width: 155mm

Avon Tourist 525 x 16 Diameter: 678mm Width: 144mm
Dunlop C18 525 x 16 Diameter: 678mm Width: 144mm
T/T Classic Roadmaster 525 x 16 Diameter: 678mm Width: 144mm
Waymaster 525 x 16 Diameter: 685mm Width: 146mm

I'll have to measure up the boot and decide what to do.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes, Tony

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Tony

I too have had the same problem but found if I get down on my hands and knees and shove the tyre right back and to one side, the boot lid will just clear it.
Have a go and experiment a bit as it’s not easy to find the right spot but it will go.

Graham
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

the car I am restoring has a clamp which holds the tyre down and away from the fuel pipe/lines it also has a curved recess where the floor raises above the back axle to accommodate the tyre further in the bay to solve the boot opening issue.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk