Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 cylinderhead

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: EL24 cylinderhead

Post by Phillmore »

As a matter of interest what is an EL24 worth in reasonable running condition to put the price of the head in perspective?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

It's probably best not to think in those terms as you would never buy a head.
But you would never have the fun created by owning the car.
The cars are worth much more than market value.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes I agree with you Marcel, I was just wondering out of interest.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Sorry Marcel, but much of your last post simply misses the point.
'The club aim to help projects but the policy is that a costed proposal needs to be submitted before the work starts'. Why? What difference does it make?
'From my experience knowing the final cost is troublesome'. The Club was not being asked to stump up anything in advance, nor for an open ended commitment.
'One of the big considerations the board were faced with, funding a head project could use 6-10% of the members money.' Yet we are considering a project at Shelsley that may use up to 50% of the funding with no proper debate?
'With 2 suppliers for only 6 heads there was little chance of getting the money back.' There are not '2 suppliers', this isn't Walmart. There are just 2 people trying to solve this problem. The Club could have elected to support one or both of them. And what is this obsession with 'getting the money back'? As I have said before, if you want a return on money, put it in a savings account. We are supposed to be a car club, not an investment fund. How do you propose getting the money back we will spend at Shelsley?
'The board also hadn't got proposals with enough details to ensure that the heads wouldn't fail again'. So why not ask Claudio for more detail? I have said all along that no money would be paid until the club had satisfied itself that the project had been completed correctly. This was about the least risky business proposition I have ever seen - no money committed up front, an agreed fixed sum rather than an open liability, and nothing to be paid unless and until the Club was satisfied.

At least we now know that our Club is not interested in supporting earlier cars.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Andy,

To answer your question, it can be difficult to value these cars as they come up for sale infrequently. However, I have monitored the market over the last few years and in general a tired, poorly restored car will struggle to break £10K at auction, decent cars have sold around £12-15K at auction, and the last private sale I was involved with saw a very good car sell for £15K. So no, it probably doesn't make economic sense to buy a new head for one of these cars, or to restore one at all. But then if economic sense is the most important criteria, we should all sell our cars and buy a hybrid.

Mark (EL24 Registrar)

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

To make a few points clear. The club have had talks with Shelsey. No funding has been agreed and would not without the members approval.
The club could give money to many projects only to become bankrupt.
A spares loan fund is exactly that a loan.
And yes two people aiming to solve a problem and offering their knowledge and product to me equates to 2 suppliers but not Walmart.
I also think that knowing the cost before buying is useful and so do Walmart they price their goods.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Just wondered Mark, how many EL24's (or cars using the same engine) are known, and do we know how many of the known cars are on the road?

Are there cars that we know of that are unable to run due to head problems?

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Marcel, I won't get into an online argument as it would solve nothing. I would however like you and the other members of the Board to know that as EL24 Registrar I feel personally very disappointed that the club could not see a way to provide some support for this project, however small it may have been.

I wish you the best in taking other projects forward. As a matter of interest, how many have you had approved so far?

Mark

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Syd,

I've 79 cars on the books, of which 22 are running and roadworthy in UK, and a further 22 in various stages of restoration (or are restorable). A further 17 are overseas, possibly 10 or so are running. There are around 5 cars requiring a head to get them back on the road, and clearly some of those under restoration will be in need as well. There are also some other Daimlers, mainly earlier types, that have had their original sleeve valve engines replaced with an EL24 engine - I know of around 5 of those. But to take a different view, every single car that is currently running with an original head is running at risk, since a combination of design flaws and age makes them fragile. That's why Claudio's work is so important.

Mark

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The answer to how many have been approved so far is none, The number of projects which have been proposed by members is one.
I have tooled up for 3 new castings since joining the board a year ago. I decided not to apply for funding as that could be taken by some as a misuse of the position I took on. I also knew that one would probably never cover it's cost. The loss on that tooling will ensure a very small number of cars made before the war will be kept on the road.
I have had a number of inquiries which have resulted in owners being able to buy parts with parts suppliers who advertise in the DM .