Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Manifolds

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Conquest Manifolds

Post by theoldman »

A job I have never had to do before!

Can the manifolds be reasonably easily removed without taking off the head, please?

I appear to have a leaky exhaust manifold gasket (Phut, Phut, Phut......................) :D so I only need to pull the manifold away to clear the studs and put on a new gasket(s).

Conquest (Strict) MkII

Thanks in anticipation,

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Conquest Manifolds

Post by HenryC »

I had to do this on the Century and managed without taking the head off, even with the twin down pipes.

I did separate the manifolds from the exhaust pipe. With a single down pipe you may have enough wiggle room not to need to do this, but I needed to clean the mating faces properly, so was happy to do this.

Enjoy getting the bottom manifold nuts off!
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Thanks Henry, you really know how to pass on encouragement........................ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll give it a go.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

It's probably easier on the Strict Conquest - not so much manifold to get in the way! Power isn't everything! :D :lol: :D
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes recently done it and as Henry correctly warns, good luck with the bottom nuts! There should be no need to disconnect the downpipe/manifold flange, just undo the manifold nuts and swing the whole assembly out of the way. To aid reassembly I bought a set of metric swivel ratchet spanners from Halfords. If both manifolds have to come off reattach inlet manifold first (as I learnt the hard way). The main problem is just starting those lower nuts on their studs. I put the nuts in the ring spanner and taped them in on the rear face of the spanner, then taped the swivel to allow slight movement but to stop it 'flopping' and dropping the nut (you will get used to grovelling under the car looking for them) :D. Start by pouring yourself a stiff drink. This will be your reward for after the job is completed (not during! although you'll be tempted)! ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I forgot to mention, when pushing the exhaust manifold back onto the studs you will need to let it hang right on the end of the studs (don't push it home) otherwise you won't have room to get the nuts on or tighten them up.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

With the nuts taped into the ring spanner I fed them up from the bottom (it helps if you're triple jointed), and from the top, helped to push the nuts square onto the stud with the blade of a screwdriver.
Andy

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Just remembered I put the washers on the studs with the aid of a telescopic magnet and a screwdriver.
Andy

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

If you are replacing the manifold gasket then you need to remove both inlet and exhaust manifolds since the gasket spans ports from each. Remember the Century II gaskets are not the same as the Century I ones.
I decided to replace both the brass nuts and the studs in the head, and put copperslip on the threads - this helped when starting the inaccessible nuts, but it depends what condition the threads are in.

Good luck

Mike

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Good point Mike. I removed both manifolds before removing the head so had it all to reassemble and as you say the gaskets do span both manifolds. Your point about lubrication is also important. I cleaned and lubricated all threads. The inlet manifold does have to go on first and be fully tightened up to make things possible.
Andy