Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Ash Frame for EL24

ron.rsp

Ash Frame for EL24

Post by ron.rsp »

Admin NOTE: Posts for ash frame have been moved from EL24 cylinder head topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2531

Claudio no need for waisting your time, can you please stick with it and give us that need a head some hope
for our cars. Today I have just had two new rear wheel arch parts made from 4"inch Ash I wonder if anyone
has done this before for their EL24?

Ron

tescaparts

Re: Ash Frame for EL24

Post by tescaparts »

DSC00642.JPG
DSC00656.JPG
Ron,you asked if anyone made parts for the ashframe....i builded the complete ashframe for my EL24 Special.

It´s a part of my profession , please let me know if you need advices
Claudio

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Claudio delighted that you are not to sever you connection with this forum and keep us up to date with progress.
Great work with the Ash, it can be challenging at times, have you attempted any steam bending?

Ron

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

Ron,
there are 3 different traditional techniques making wooden archs:

1.) steam bending as you mentioned.Not so easy to do if you missing the equipment and not my prefered methode,because wood tries to come back into his original form after decades.Sometime this causes cracks.And it needs a lot of time to do.

2.) Glueing an arch together by using single segments,each cutted in the fibre direction of the wood.Not my prefered method ,too.You need too much wood and you never can cut the wood in the fibre direction over the entire lenght.

3.) Glued together by using veneer sheets (appr. 4 mm thick) on a plywood pattern.Easy and fast to do,very stable and my prefered method.
It´s shown on the pictures.

I hope this helps.
Good luck
Claudio

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Thank you for this Claudio and yes I agree, the steam bending method is not ideal for some parts.

Ron.

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

CCF06112017_00000.jpg
Hi Ron,
please note the picture taken in the early 30th.
Please make sure to use Ash in a good quality (not easy to get these days) with a rest moisture of appr. 15%.
All the best
Claudio

John-B
Site Admin

Ash Frame for EL24

Post by John-B »

Posts for ash frame have been moved from Cylinder Head for EL24 topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2531