Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Chrome number plates

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Chrome number plates

Post by Phillmore »

My '56 Conquest has chrome number plates with raised digits with the background painted matt black. Is this period/optional or a non Daimler item? Does anyone else have them?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Chrome number plates

Post by theoldman »

Quite popular in the 1950s!

The LJ I sold last year had them.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

So they could have been specified new then Neil?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

This might be the closest you will get:
http://www.classicplatesonline.co.uk/pl ... gLKDPD_BwE

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

No chrome ones there but a useful website. I don't need any but I do need to touch up the black paint in places.
Andy

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Surely the raised letters and number were normally polished aluminium

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

It definitely looks like chrome to me.
Andy

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Cheaper plates were just aluminium but better quality ones had different finishes including chrome, white and a sort of gunmetal grey.It's nice to find a car with original Ace plates (there are others like Hills but Ace are my own favourites) as they are a good finishing touch and can usually be restored with a bit of care. Unfortunately new shiny plates do help a car sell but rather too many replaced better quality originals in the 1980s.

I bought some new plates this year for my 2 1/2 litre Riley and they are a fairly good match for some of the 50s plates, photo below. I've also attached a photo of the original Ace plates on my LD10. Probably not as dear as the chrome ones but quite nice (I think).

Will these details ever be appreciated again? We can but hope.
Attachments
20171111_184537.jpg
20171111_184302.jpg