Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 cylinderhead

tescaparts

Re: EL24 cylinderhead

Post by tescaparts »

Ron and Henry,
even if i have decided to leave the club i will stay member of this important forum.
I assure all users to keep you up to date. Next step is machining the heads and pictures will follow.

In any case, i do offer my help and assistance to all fellow enthusiasts to save those wonderfull cars for further generations!

Claudio

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Posts for ash frame have been moved to Ash Frame for EL24 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2848

Please post for cylinder head only here, and no bickering! :shock:

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

John,
thank you very much,i had the same idea ,but you was faster!

Claudio

P.S.: Bickering ? Please not again! ;)

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Followers of this thread will have seen mention of Andy Wrightson's work on producing a new head for the EL24. Andy has contacted me and is now ready to cast the first batch. Having followed developments he is not interested in making an offer to the club, but will consider including anyone who needs a head in this first run, alongside those he is making for the customer who has financed this project.

Since this will be a private matter between individuals and Andy, I am not going to publish any further details on this Forum. As EL24 Registrar however I have offered to try and connect Andy with anyone who needs a head. If you are one of those people, please contact me via PM.

Mark

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

A further update, on behalf of Claudio. He and John have decided to get on and finish the project, so no money has to be paid upfront for development or deposits on heads.

The heads will be offered for sale after they are tested on John and Claudio's cars, as soon as possible early next year. This will prove the design and ensure all customers get a working head. By using the printed sandpatterns Claudio can produce each head in the future after an order and will need 8-10 weeks to do so. No pre-production or minimum order is needed.

It is planned to offer different delivery options according to customer requirement, beginning with a cast, cleaned and unmachined head up to a head completely machined with new valves etc. All heads will be pressure tested before delivery. Payment details will be confirmed in due course, including deposit required to confirm the order and commence manufacture.

I think all EL24 owners will want to congratulate Claudio and John for persevering with this, and for getting us to the point where it will now be possible to order a new cylinder head in the future, as the requirement arises.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

How many do you propose making and what is the estimated cost.

I would support using the Club Spares reserves which I helped create when treasurer.

These heads are a well known issues and thankfully one of Daimlers few design faults and a clear need if we want to keep these cars on the road.

Simonp
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

Simon,

we don´t need a minimum order to produce. We are using 3D printed sandpatterns for casting ,which are printed for each head seperate.Two heads are casted for the moment,one for John and one for my car.Over the next few years we hope it´s realistic to cast 6 ,depending if the interested owners really order them.

Please note Mark´s last comment ,each head can be ordered as soon it is needed.

The costs are calculated with 5-6 k for a head.

Claudio

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Gentlemen and Ladies of the Forum,

One good thing that will come out of all this is that if and when other models suffer the same problems of alloy heads needing 3D engineering to recreate them to keep our cars on the road we will have a good chain of suppliers and technicians available to commission these parts.

Am I correct?

Cheers
Peter Grant

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Thanks for the update Claudio. Hopes all proceeds well and look forward to results of testing.

Simonp
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

Peter,
in principle you´re correct....BUT:
It seems easier than it is.You need a considerable financial background to cover the development costs.You can burn your fingers very quickly!
I doubt there are many private individuales who dare to such a project in the future if they followed this topic.
Let´s hope i´m wrong and we can save some more cars!!
Claudio