Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Early LA10 Head Lamp Wiring Diagram

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Early LA10 Head Lamp Wiring Diagram

Post by Culbu »

Good evening,

I'm reading the LA10 wiring diagram and I'm wondering to myself if it's normal that one of the 2 head lamps is connected by only 2 wires (a red one, and a red and brown one) while the other one gets 3 wires (a red one, a red and brown one, and a brown one) ?

Moreover, each bulb of my head lamp gets only one plot though it assumes 2 functions ! How does it work please ?

Thank you.

Julian

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Early LA10 Head Lamp Wiring Diagram

Post by A.N.Other »

Could it be the dipping system used on pre war cars.
The system just has single filament bulbs. Both are on as normal but one of the lamps has a solenoid in which dips the reflector so it doesn't dazzle on coming cars.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Hum...

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Or is it to do with the fog light which switches one of the headlights off? Not sure I'm correct about this but I'm sure the two circuits influence each other.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The original wiring for the lights on these cars predates the pass lamp system. Big Col has it right. The passenger side (L/H UK) light stays on all the time. It is the lamp fed by just two wires, feed and earth. The driver's side lamp is fed by three wires - bulb feed, earth and solenoid feed. When the dipswitch is pressed, it switches on and off power to the solenoid. Power on, the light is on full beam, power off and the reflector falls to its dipped position.

I did start to write about what to do to modify this arrangement to meet current requirements but there is a step you need to take before looking at that. It is this. There are very very few cars of this age and older which have not had some modification carried out to their lights and this is because the lighting regulations, plus the need to keep up with newer cars, forced most owners of cars that had any use in the 40s and 50s to do something about them and so having a look at what your car is actually fitted with is the next step.

The same choices that faced an owner in the 1950s face us today. Either fit another dipping reflector to the non dipping lamp or fit double filament bulbs. These will also need double contact sockets in the headlamps (available from Vintage Supplies) and either an on/on dipswitch or the existing dipswitch fitted with an on/on relay.

It is essential in either case that the reflectors are in tip top condition. If they are dull then the lights will be poor but 36 watt bulbs are entirely adequate with good reflectors. I know this from personal experience and a story I shall not bore you with but the reflectors are key to good headlights.

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you guys for these answers.

I will carefully inspect the headlights wiring diagram of my car and try to understand the causes of the defaults I have.

Anyway, thanks again for these explanations.

Julian

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes Simon is exactly correct, my own Lanchester had already been fitted with a Dipping Reflector on the drivers side prior to my ownership fortunately.
I replaced the Wiring Loom with one produced by Autosparks ( Hull) having sent them the old Loom, along with a modified Wiring diagram,that incorporated the extra Wiring , also did the same for the Rear Lights whilst I was at it.
Not sure how easy it will be to find the correct size Dipping Reflector though !

Cheers A’l :D

Just taken a look on eBay and there is one on there , put the following wording into the eBay search.

Lucas 8 “ Dipping Reflector

Cheers again A’l. :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, better be quick, as its the only one on there !!!!!

Cheer A'l :D