Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Regency or 104?

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Daimler Regency or 104?

Post by Chris_R »

Is this a Regency II or a 104?
Daimler 331UXN.jpg
331 UXN

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Daimler Regency or 104?

Post by theoldman »

Well, yes and no and neither, Chris.......................... :D

This is either a Sportsman or a Fourlight, according to whether it was built on a Regency chassis or a One - 0 - Four chassis.

Regency chassis vehicles were DF308s, as opposed to the Regency 306s (these had a more powerful engine than the original Regency II on the DF304 chassis), but the Fourlight shared the same chassis as the One - 0 - Four, DF310

The Sportsman was often referred to as "Regency Sportsman", but the Fourlight never as a "One - 0 Four Fourlight"

Going only by the nave plates, I would say that that one is a DF310 Fourlight. The identical body for both models was made by Mulliner and trimmed in the Daimler factory.

Clear as mud?
Normal for Norfolk

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

On the assumption this is a recent pic, then I'd say it looks like a car belonging to Gary boughton-smith ?

Was the pic taken at the rally this year. ?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Chassis Number 88939 if that helps..........................
Normal for Norfolk

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

That rear screen looks very like the Vauxhall Cresta rear windscreen?

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

theoldman wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 am Chassis Number 88939 if that helps..........................
I believe that puts it in the 1st tranche of 104 chassis.

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

An easy way to tell the difference is the Regency has large hubcaps a la Special Sports, with a painted centre section, whilst the 104 has a smaller fully chromed hubcap.
The dash on the Regency is also plain with white instruments and the 104 has the 'Ladies Model" jukebox style with black instruments.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Even easier, Keith is the petrol cap - flush locking on the Regency and exposed on the 104.

Inside the easy way to tell is the handbrake - pistol grip on Regency and by driver's seat on 104 "a la" Daimler 15/20

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

I forgot to mention, but my comments aren't quite correct.
We had an early 104 in our club that had the petrol flap and big painted hubcaps, but it also had the burl walnut dashboard and white instruments. Can't remember what the handbrake was like.Maybe Daimler used up the left over Regency bits for the first 104's?
My initial comment was very much a generalisation.
I'm always loathed to make a definite statement about Daimlers!
Keith

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Yes, Keith, many were "parts bin specials" - like the early MkII Conquest century's which still had the MkI dash!!!
Normal for Norfolk