Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Automonous cars.

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Automonous cars.

Post by NickDeAth »

With all this talk of driverless cars, will this be the end of driving lessons, driving instructors, driving tests and examiners? There's a good way to decimate an industry.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Automonous cars.

Post by John-B »

The normal course of events is to get more complex all the time (the second law of thermo-dynamics?).

Driving tests will soon include dual carriageway driving and with autonomous cars an IT test will be required as they will certainly need reprogramming every time you want to go somewhere.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I think John you can rely on the best technical advice with these super intelligent self driving vehicles in the event of failure, and that is: Turn it off, then turn it back on again....!
What more could you need to know?
If that doesn't fix it, call the man with the laptop...
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Driverless.jpg

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I know I'm not very bright - but can someone tell me - if a driverless car is involved in an accident, who is prosecuted and/or held responsible for the ensuing claim?

Would it be the vehicle's occupants, the owner of the vehicle if it is on hire purchase or lease, or the geek who wrote the controlling software etc?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Good point - Hang the geek ;) .

If the purpose of driverless cars is to prevent accidents, will we need insurance? That's another profession on the dole.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Stan, If there is an accident between an automonus vehicle and a driven one, the driven one will always be blamed and the automonus one will be presumed innocent. Insurance always blames the other party, hence the advice that is given to never accept liability even if you know you are at total blame.
Insurance will still be required but will be much more expensive to cover the cost of legal cases and experts at crash scenes blocking roads for hours while they have the tape measures out.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, will automonous vehicles have enough intelligence to be able to take a avoidlng action., say if a cyclist should happen to stray into its path ?
Just a thought ..............

Cheers A’l. :D :D

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Yes because it would of detected the cyclist and the pre programmed algorithms would have calculated probability and put itself in the best position to avoid a collision. The cameras and sensors on the vehicle would prove that the cyclist was to blame in the worst outcome.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Stan Thomas wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 am if a driverless car is involved in an accident, who is prosecuted and/or held responsible for the ensuing claim?

Would it be the vehicle's occupants, the owner of the vehicle if it is on hire purchase or lease, or the geek who wrote the controlling software etc?
Driverless2.jpg
Driverless3.jpg