Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Feeler guages

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Feeler guages

Post by Phillmore »

I'm about to replace my ageing gauges as the values have pretty much all worn off so I thought I'd start on the Halfords website. £3.99 for what appears to be a comprehensive set of metric and imperial, even including a 0.013 (I need to combine two for tappet clearance setting with my old set)! On checking the reviews however two reviewers stated that the thickness of many were not accurate! I'd never even considered before that feeler gauges might not be the size they actually say (what would be the point of that)? So maybe they are of Chinese origin or out of a Christmas cracker perhaps?

Anyway can anyone recommend a good quality set of 'engineering quality' feeler gauges that are accurate please?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Feeler guages

Post by Chris_R »

Snap-on or Blue-Point.
More expensive but worth it.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Snap on/Blue point seem to be the same thing. It's a good name and look good quality but the blades are quite a bit wider than mine. Can you think of any instance where a half inch wide blade would be restrictive in automotive use?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Try looking at Buck&Hickman or Cromwell Tools web sites. Both will supply quality products at reasonable cost. If you want to pay a little more for similar products try RS Componants. All three have stores nation wide.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I bought a set of Kennedy gauges from Cromwell's made to the appropriate British Standards. They cost around £14 but seem very good quality so thanks for all of the advice and recommendations.
Andy