Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Post by Phillmore »

The 40 year exemption doesn't come in until May this year I believe?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

In my case, to declare the car exempt, I had to send evidence of its manufacture date, so I sent a copy of the JHT certificate. The extract above doesn't mention that so perhaps it isn't necessary after May. It only says that you have to declare it is not been substantially changed. I suppose if you try to declare a vehicle that is more than 40 years old, but made after 1960 now, you may have to wait until after May before it is made exempt.

My car now shows as exempt on the DVLA website https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax and I suppose no one will be notified that MOT is due (if you ever were, I can't remember).

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Referring back to the original post in this thread the devil is in the detail. The information is contained on the government's website in the various documents published there.
Exemption from MOT will be on a rolling 40 year basis and will require an annual declaration at the point where the vehicle license is renewed and this will apply to all MOT exempt vehicles, the current pre-1960/post 1960 demarcation will disappear - owners of pre-1960 cars will in future need to declare exemption on an annual basis. The exception is that if the type of vehicle is still in production then it is not exempt from MOT testing (I imagine not good news for the XKSS owners since Jaguar announced the production of the continuation series!).
Vehicles over 40 years old that have been substantially changed will require MOTs.
As stated in the original post, the Criteria for substantial change includes this definition - "Axles and running gear- alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change" but there are caveats.
Firstly, if the alteration was made more than 30 years prior to the date of submission then the vehicle no longer is regarded as being substantially changed and can qualify for MOT exemption.
Secondly, in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance are also acceptable and are allowed to qualify for MOT exemption.
What does this all mean in respect of SP250s?
1) All SP250s will be regarded in the same way, there will be no pre-1960/post 1960 different treatment.
2) If a conversion to rack and pinion steering was done more than 30 years prior it is not regarded as a substantial change for MOT exemption purposes and the car can qualify for MOT exemption
3) If the change was made less than 30 years prior it will be a substantial change but it can then be argued to improve safety for reasons stated in this thread, mainly the collapsible steering column. Since it is for the owner to declare this, provided the owner is satisfied that the safety argument is satisfactorily met then the declaration for MOT exemption can be made with a clear conscience. It would then be for the authorities to prove it was not a safety improvement if they wanted to challenge any declaration.
4) Notwithstanding the above, owners of all cars over 40 years old can voluntarily submit their cars for an MOT. Some have asked if the car fails a voluntary MOT can the owner then simply declare MOT exemption and tax the car anyway. That is a yes and no answer. At the point of tax renewal the MOT failure will not prevent the owner renewing the tax and declaring MOT exemption. However, MOT exemption does not remove the owners responsibility for their vehicle’s roadworthiness and if a voluntary MOT has been failed the car is deemed not roadworthy and so must be fixed in the same way as if the MOT had been required.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Sounds like all SP250’s will have had the Steering Rack conversion done over Thirty years ago to me then ! ! :lol:
The thing is, how can any body prove otherwise ?? :D
Cheers A’l :D

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Phillmore wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm The 40 year exemption doesn't come in until May this year I believe?
From 20th May 2018.
John-B wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:34 pm In my case, to declare the car exempt, I had to send evidence of its manufacture date, so I sent a copy of the JHT certificate. The extract above doesn't mention that so perhaps it isn't necessary after May. It only says that you have to declare it is not been substantially changed. I suppose if you try to declare a vehicle that is more than 40 years old, but made after 1960 now, you may have to wait until after May before it is made exempt.

My car now shows as exempt on the DVLA website https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax and I suppose no one will be notified that MOT is due (if you ever were, I can't remember).
After 20th May 2018, any vehicle over 40 years old will require either a valid MOT or a declaration of exemption at the time of the renewal of tax. This applies to pre-1960 cars as well. The automatic MOT exemption for pre-1960 will be removed in favour of the annual declaration.
You are not notified by the DVLA that an MOT is due but I think there is a service from VOSA that will do that if you require it.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes I believe you can sign up for a DVLA MOT reminder and they will send you an email a month before expiry.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I cannot believe you said that Al !!!!!!! All us SP owners are of the highest integrity. Not one of us would ever think of telling a lie.

As it happens my SP was modified on the 30th April 78 which is a bit of luck, a day later and I would have had to declare the modification :-) :-). Syd.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Sydsmith wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 pm it happens my SP was modified on the 30th April 78 which is a bit of luck, a day later and I would have had to declare the modification :-) :-). Syd.
You've even got 10 years and three weeks in hand Syd - the new law doesn't come into effect until May 20th! ;)
Last edited by Vortex O'Plinth on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Sydsmith wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 pm I cannot believe you said that Al !!!!!!! All us SP owners are of the highest integrity. Not one of us would ever think of telling a lie.

As it happens my SP was modified on the 30th April 78 which is a bit of luck, a day later and I would have had to declare the modification :-) :-). Syd.
Do we believe you? Prove it!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Surely it is unreasonable for the powers that be to expect every single owner of an exempt car to have or keep the records which presumably will be needed for 40 years?

There is always the insurance issue if you lie? Would it invalidate your insurance in the case of an accident? No MOT no insurance?