Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 reserve fuel tank

Sid

LD10 reserve fuel tank

Post by Sid »

When I bought my LD10 last year one of the things I noticed once I'd got it home and up in the air was that the previous owner, who had done some work on it back in the 90's, had installed a new steel fuel pipe from the tank to the petrol pump. Also the reserve button on the dash and its Bowden cable were missing. Other more pressing work on the car took priority and I've just had another look underneath, and unless I'm mistaken, and I usually am, shouldn't there be some sort of valve just under the front passenger seat, operated by that cable? And presumably another pipe coming out of the tank to that valve? Only there isn't.
Also, a few weeks ago I tried to start the motor, which I've had running before, but it wouldn't go. Fuel starvation at the carb was diagnosed, and as the fuel gauge may not be working I thought I'd undo the fuel tank drain tap to check if there was any fire water, which there was. Out it gushed, nice and clean, so I poured it back in the tank. And the blasted thing started!
So my question is, having never experienced a car with a reserve tank before, is there a separate compartment in the tank that has no method of delivery, and is therefore isolated from the rest of the tank, and by draining some out and pouring it back in did I inadvertently do what the reserve tank is supposed to do? And is there a way of permanently by-passing it?
I should point out that my car may be one of the last ones made, whether or not that may be significant I've no idea.
Sorry for the log winded question, I hope it's clear.
Regards Sid

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: LD10 reserve fuel tank

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Sid if you had used the hand primer on the fuel pump you would have heard fuel going into the carb, common problem is the fuel has drained from the float bowl after a period of time.
Will take a picture of the reserve tap as soon a i can this week and post it on here.

Peter
Last edited by Norfolk Lad on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sid

Post by Sid »

True, I may have done that, although I don't remember. But then again it would be the natural thing to do.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The reserve is simply a pick up pipe slightly lower in the one tank than the normal one. The same petrol is used, it's all in the one vessel but if one pick up becomes blocked, the other may still work.
My own late LD10 has no changeover valve, removed by the previous owner during restoration. I have thought of reinstating it but using an electrically operated changeover solenoid a la XJ6/Daimler Sovereign and connecting a switch to the changeover pull on the dash, unless a good original two way tap turns up. Probably carrying a gallon can is the simpler thing to do.
If the fuel gauge isn't working, have a look firstly at the condition of the sender unit floats. They become petrol saturated with age. I replaced mine with cork demijohn stoppers and it has worked a treat since. The AC made tank unit is a much better made affair than the contemporary Smiths unit and may outlive the car! Check for a good earth to the tank unit, easy to wire up if needs be from the battery.

Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks for the answers. So what i need to do now is check that the pipe the previous owner installed is the one that reaches the bottom of the tank, I don't really want a gallon or so sloshing around uselessly. Frankly I can't see the point of a reserve tank, as you say, a gallon can is much easier. My chassis number is L63796 is it possible they did away with the changeover valve towards the end?

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

My one is 784 and it had a changeover valve. 788 still has one as it's owner impressed us with his agility on the road at making sure from underneath that it was fully home. Would they have run out of them 10 cars later ? Don't know but when you look at the tank you'll get a better idea. Not the sort of job for the -2 degrees it is this morning !

triddell

Post by triddell »

Mine is L63542 which is in 1951 and definitelt has the tap - I had to put new corks in it recently.
Tom

Sid

Post by Sid »

I had a rummage around in the fuel tank and found that someone had cut off the pipe that goes inside the tank, so it literally finishes 1/2" inside, and cut and blocked off the outside, so I've got one pipe which obviously doesn't reach the bottom because there's a gallon of fuel sloshing around doing nothing. There is no changeover valve anymore.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

You could try and contact Adrian Hanwell and see if by any chnace he has a spare tank and c/o switch?
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

This sounds very similar to my Consort set up. If you want to use the remaining fuel in the tank why not remove the only pick up pipe that is left and extend it by however much you need by soldering a piece of copper tube over the exististing.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"