Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1953 Empress Two-Door Hooper Saloon

AntonyB

1953 Empress Two-Door Hooper Saloon

Post by AntonyB »

Brightwells 7/3/2018 auction lists the above, a 1953 Daimler Empress Two-Door Hooper saloon reg. 592JGK.

Link to the catalogue is :-
https://www.brightwells.com/classic-mot ... 7th-march/

Stated as being one of only 2 made, and having been the subject of a recent £40k restoration, with the guide price of £20-25k.

There are at present 3 other Daimlers also in the sale, 2x DS420s, and a low mileage MkII Conquest Century.

Antony

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 1953 Empress Two-Door Hooper Saloon

Post by Peter Grant »

The sister car, originally black over apple green but resprayed two tone brown some time in the past is now here in Australia and is under restoration. The Australian car was refitted by the factory with the 3.5 litre engine and test driven by a very high ranking personage in an effort to persuade her to upgrade the engine in her own 3 litre Empress. The suggestion was declined.
A truly beautiful car, so very elegant and charming.
Cheers
Peter Grant

JohnRidley

Post by JohnRidley »

It is with sadness that the Empress is being put up for auction. The car was acquired many years ago from John Wentworth of Stanford in the Vale. John had a superb collection of our cars, but this was in a poor condition and he let me have it for a song on the understanding of a total restoration. But the project took so much effort (and money!) that by the time of completion, I'd suffered a mild stroke and realised that my big-Daimler days were over. JohnR

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Very sad to hear that John but surely the valuation is far too low when a DB18 Special Sport is fetching £40,000?
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Is anyone else having difficulty opening any of the photographs? There are 26 of the Empress and I can't open any of them.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

John,

Sorry to hear you are parting with the car. I understand the time and money you put in to making it beautiful again.

Hope it makes a good return and finds an enthusiastic new owner.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I think you have to create an account to view the pics, so they can bombard you with SPAM once you have viewed a car on the site...............
Normal for Norfolk

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

New Dexter - I did manage to display the photos but only after leaving and returning to the site several times, but I couldn't get them to enlarge. All I can suggest is that you try, try and try again.

Cheers

Geoff

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

John

My condolences on having to part with such a gorgeous machine after lavishing infinite quantities of time and effort, and not least a significant amount of currency on it. I do hope that it finds an owner who appreciates its rarity and desirability and who will look after it as it should be, and for a sum that provides reasonable compensation. My fingers are crossed.

Regards

Geoff

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Lovely John, just lovely. What a superb Restoration you have done, just a shame that after all of that effort, you have been unable to reap the benefits .
Cheers A’l :D