Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Forthcoming rolling MoT exemption

Post by Chris_R »

Colin, I'm inclined to agree with you about getting the cars independently checked. I replied to the Government's consultation and opposed the exemption. However, MOT or not won't make any difference to insurance or continental touring. The exemption stems from the latest EU Safety directive (which incidentally the UK played a major part in developing and writing) and so there will be no issue driving an exempt car in the rest of the EU as even without an MOT your car will be compliant with the EU regulations.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Warsash 2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm Hi
I have decided to have my 4 over 40 year old cars MOT'd as a an independent check on them. This may satisfy the insurance company or at least give them less wriggle room to avoid any claim and should make continental touring easier. The exemptions seem to be too much hassle and too vague.
This would appear to be a business opportunity for a MOT station to offer safety checks on older cars particularly if they are blessed with mechanics that understand older cars.
Regards

Colin
I don't think the exemptions are particularly vague and generally work in our favour. I don't think they are any hassle either as it will purely be a tick box exercise when taxing on line. My local MOT station is very classic friendly (the owners drive/own a mini moke, Austin 7, Audi Quattro, MG Maestro and a fifties sunbeam along with a few old bikes) and will undertake safety checks for exempt cars if required. Let's embrace a very rare bit of slack from from the EU ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I am not yet a member of the SP250 owners club but their Feb magazine contains a note that some SP's were made with R&P steering by Daimler/Jaguar.

I don't have the sort of knowledge to challenge the claim but I bet some one here has.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Changes as Written that apply from Today with regards to Substantially Changed
Historic Vehicle Exemption Criteria

2. What ‘substantial changes’ means
A ‘substantial change’ is something that means the technical characteristics of the main components have changed.

Cars, private passenger vehicles and light commercial vehicles
Chassis
Chassis replacements of the same pattern as the original do not count as a substantial change.

Monocoque bodyshell (including any sub-frames) replacements of the same pattern as the original do not count as a substantial change.

Axles and running gear
Alterations to the type and/or method of suspension or steering counts as a substantial change.

Engine
Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines do not count as a substantial change.

If the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original, it’s likely to be, but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is not alternative original equipment.

Other reasons for changes
It does not count as a substantial change if:

changes are made to preserve a vehicle because the original type parts are no longer reasonably available
changes of a type - you need to be able to prove the change was made when vehicles of the type were in production or within 10 years of the end of production
axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance
vehicles that were previously used as commercial vehicles had changes made to them - you need to be able to prove the changes were made when the vehicle was used commercially

Things that count as ‘substantial changes’
It counts as a ‘substantial change’ if a vehicle:

has been given a ‘Q’ registration number
is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle
is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance
is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell, which changes the general appearance of the vehicle
However, if any of these 4 types of vehicle is taxed as a ‘historic vehicle’, and it has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it is exempt from needing an MOT.

I assume the section in RED would classify the SP steering as a safety improvement
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The major reason for the introduction of rack-and-pinion steering was on the grounds of safety - given that in a collision, the column of a steering box can skewer the driver to the back of the seat.

The other reason was lower cost of manufacture and precision of operation.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Stan Thomas wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:35 am The major reason for the introduction of rack-and-pinion steering was on the grounds of safety - given that in a collision, the column of a steering box can skewer the driver to the back of the seat.
If you don't get an MOT and a policeman stops you and says you need one, or you state to DVLA that you ought to be exempt and they disagree, what can you do? Who can you complain to for a legal resolution?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I do wonder how this going to be policed?

How will any one except those with knowledge of the mark know the steering has been modified?

When will the question ever be asked?

Who will question that the mod was done for any other reason except safety, if that is what the owner says he did it for?

R&P has become such an established conversion and has proved both it's worth and reliability, cars have been driven for over 30 years with the mod without any apparent incident.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I think the important points are:
If you are getting an MOT then you need do nothing.
If you are not getting an MOT then you must fill out the exemption form.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

grahamemmett wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 pm I think the important points are:
If you are getting an MOT then you need do nothing.
If you are not getting an MOT then you must fill out the exemption form.
Yes, but if you fill out an exemption form but the DVLA says R&P isn't a safety feature and doesn't give you exemption, where do you complain?

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Ah right
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)