Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1929 Daimler 20/70 model M

terryfrombury

Re: 1929 Daimler 20/70 model M

Post by terryfrombury »

Oh Chris, you are a lucky man!! Guys my age no longer get asked for help by young women!

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Chris,

The car looks to be not just well restored and quite magnificent, but quite original - although as already commented, a lot will depend on if its got the original sleeve valve engine - and to which I would add that in turn depends upon what condition the engine is in if it has!

If the car is as good as it looks fully up and running with original engine and dependant upon detailed originality, then I would advocate advertising it privately, namely because the auctioneers will require a commission of about 15% + VAT, and if they know you are unsure of its worth, may well under value thier advisory reserve to use the sale as a lost leader to draw the punters. Beleive me, it is a minefield out there when it comes to classic car d(st)ealers!

A further factor is that (sadly) an ex-sleeve valve engined car has a greater appeal to the wedding car fraternity, so perhaps another reason to consider adverisig the car privately depending on how urgent a sale is required.

That said, it is impossible to value the car without more detailed and preferably access to view. I have a similar but slightly later car - a 1931 16/20 of which I was offered £40K just by a bystander- but that was only one person's interpretation of what it was worth to him personally.

It really is a matter of what an individual is prepared to pay. In that respect, sleeve valves are something of a very special niche. Some (most?) people would not touch them with a barge-pole, and others, although a minority, revere them with a passion and will go to the ends of the earth to find a good one - their greatest following being in America where the engine was invented - the Wilys-Knight Register having a vast membership.

Bottom line is it depends upon condition and originallity, so let me have more detail if you wish - or preferably email me at sleevevalve@mail.com and if I can help further, with an impartial valuation, I will gladly do so.

Regards,

Stan Thomas.

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

I think this is a similar car that has been auctioned. Might give a price indication.
Best regards
Beat Weibel

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I know the car which went through Anglia Car Auctions five years ago - having travelled to the then owners home to view it pre-sale - in fact, I spent most of the day getting it up and running for him!!

The eventual hammer price was £18K, although of course prices have moved on since then, although the successful bidder now has the car up for sale at £20K.

That said, and although virtually identical to my 16/20, there still remains no direct price correlation between them given each and every car still has its own individual value based upon originality, conditon and what renovation and/or major overhaul it has received and by whom etc. etc. There is also an earlier sleeve valve on the market at £44K.

It will be interesting therefore to follow Chris's desire to see just how the 20/70 he refers is valued - so as they say "watch this space".

/

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I have brought this back to life because I have now discovered that the Daimler 20/70 sold at auction in Darlington on 21st August 2018 for a (perhaps slightly disappointing ) price of £13,000 . Sadly, however, it went to Dubai . It is such a shame that we are losing so many classics this way