Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Head Gasket Leakage

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Head Gasket Leakage

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, having completely reconditioned the engine in my Lanchester LA 11, earlier this year, I am somewhat dismayed to find that I She seems to be starting up on Three Cylinders occasionally.
It usually occurs having not been started for Two or Three days, and only on No 2 Cyl , I have noticed slight streaking down the Cyl Block along the Head Gasket , seem that coolant and is maybe permeating either through, or creeping either side of the Head Gasket on either side of the Engine . Yes the cooling system does contained Blucol antifreeze, which probably aggravates the situation!
I do have another fully reconditioned Cyl Head ready to be fitted , and a complete set of Gaskets , so the reason for this diatribe is, what sealant would the “Team” recommend I apply to the mating surfaces ?
I should say that the Head that is currently fitted Did show signs of very slight leakage over the central Exhaust Port when pressure tested, this was halted with the application of Super Glue would you believe.
Hence my wanting to fit a replacement Head .
Your observations / suggestions would be most welcome 😀😀

Cheers A’l 😟😟😟

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Head Gasket Leakage

Post by A.N.Other »

Blue Hylimer. Excuse me if the spelling is incorrect.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Head Gasket Leakage

Post by JT7196 »

4AACE72F-4064-4032-8A75-3DC13E9AE61E.jpeg
Hi.colin, yes that what I usually use , just thought that I would sound around in case there was a better product,
Anyway, got home from playing Bowks all day, and decided that it was no good ignoring the problem with my engine, as I have a wedding to do for a friend, and am also driving up to take part in the Goodwood Revival so really did no wish to wing it and hope for the best!,
So decided to remove the Cylinder Head, we that was where the problems started, having removed everything that need to come off , tried to lift the Head off, well about 3 hrs later it finally secumbed to plain brute force and ignorance , using a large lump hammer and several wedges, which is Not the way I prefer to work!!
It turned out, that the Head had seized onto one of the Head Studs , just could not believe how much force I had to use to lift that damed Head!
On examinating the Head, it became clear the reason for the leakage into No 2 Cyl.
The holes in the Cylnder Head , had suffered from excessive corrosion ( See pictures) and seen by the “Witness” marks on the Head, that the Head Gasket was only marginally covering some of the Water way holes .
The last picture is of the replacement Cylinder Head that has been completely reconditioned .

83A99DC0-8DA7-421F-8368-5EC4656486C4.jpeg
D119DCB5-ED99-4D9B-B0E4-0E77308D181E.jpeg
83A99DC0-8DA7-421F-8368-5EC4656486C4.jpeg
4AACE72F-4064-4032-8A75-3DC13E9AE61E.jpeg
[attachment=1]DDBB3802-0A5E-4A80-AA29-942928924832.jpeg[/attachmen]

Just got to put her back together now ! 😀😀

Cheers Al
Attachments
DDBB3802-0A5E-4A80-AA29-942928924832.jpeg