Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Century Horn Button

BigJAK

Conquest Century Horn Button

Post by BigJAK »

What should hold the horn button in?
Attachments
C664D257-BE11-4EA3-B7E0-2E12B7D4EF85.jpeg

bakergh

Re: Conquest Century Horn Button

Post by bakergh »

Two pointed grub screws behind the spokes in the center boss set 180 degrees apart.

Graham

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

Should it turn with the wheel? Mine doesn’t??

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

No it should not turn with the steering wheel.
You should be able to pull the horn and direction indicator switch mechanism out of the steering wheel without disconnecting it.
If you can a picture of it would be helpful.

Graham

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

See picture above, seems to be held at bottom, loose at top.

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Have you located the two grub screws?
It may being held just by one.
If you un screw it and the other one you should be able to push the assembly into the correct position and then tighten the two grub screws to hold it in place.

Graham

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

These "traficator" (that's what we Yanks call 'em) assemblies are very common on Britcars of the era. My '62 Healey and my '51 and '53 Empresses all have them. A major part of the assembly is a long "stator" (stationary) tube that goes clear down through the (rotating) steering shaft to the far side of the steering box and is secured there by a special nut. The wires from the switch assembly go clear down through this stator tube and exit out the bottom. If the stator tube (and traficator assembly) is not secure, and is allowed to turn, the wires will quickly become twisted, tangled, and shorted.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

I undid the grub screws and pulled the horn button out. Of the three screws that hold the horn button to the stator, one was missing, one wouldn’t tighten and the third tightened.
I was pushed for time so didn’t try the screw from the stripped hole in the missing screw hole. Button is now a better fit.