Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE36 gearbox removal

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Roark

DE36 gearbox removal

Post by Roark »

I spent some time trying to remove the cross member under the flywheel housing. It has four bolts on the nearside and a similar amount on the offside. However, I managed, with an effort to remove some nuts but it's impossible to remove one bolt as it slides into the centre of the car and strikes the brake pedal. Presumably one has to remove even more of the floor.
One major problem is access to the nuts. The chassis is essentially a box with many circular holes along its length but where the cross member fits there is the cruciform running from chassis to the centre.
1. Are there any special tricks one could use to remove this cross member?
2. Should the oval hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing have a blanking plug?
3. I have found a 6" square plate with 3/8" threaded holes in each corner. This is fitted to the offside of the engine where the block meets the flywheel casing and the sump. What might this be for?

Roark

Re: DE36 gearbox removal

Post by Roark »

It was necessary to remove both toe boards and this permits the brake pedal to be moved further back and the bolt can slide out. However, I am stumped now. The gearbox rubber mounts have been undone but the cross member is held against the chassis by 4 bolts each side and I have managed to undo just two of them.
It's virtually impossible to feed a spanner through a tiny triangular space and along the inside of the chassis rails. Is there a special technique as I am sure the same problem must exist on other Daimlers of the period? It doesn't help that on both sides there are cables, brake pipes etc which make life even more difficult.
It doesn't help that the bolts feed into the chassis from the inside out and thus the nuts are on the inside. If and when I manage to remove this cross member, I will feed the bolts from the outside in, possibly welding them to a plate first. I can post some photos if necessary