Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Another Daimler ? No sh.t Sherlock !

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Another Daimler ? No sh.t Sherlock !

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

No Daimlers or Lanchesters.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

This has some http://www.jaguarheritage.com/heritage-certificate

and still we are at Gaydon usual round and round in circles why make things simple i ask myself

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

To follow the discussion about the failure of Jaguar to develop the 2.5 V8, their real crime was failure to use the 4.5. The late Alan Clark wondered aloud many years ago why they didn't put it in the E Type. It was the engine that would have rewarded further development, being already a superior design to the 2.5 in some ways other than just size.

However few folk seem to be aware that drawings exist for a DOHC 3 litre version of the engine, which I believe the Daimler Company would have liked to sell to other car makers. I have a copy of the drawings which I was kindly given by Keith Humphries of the NZ Club, I'm not sure where/how he found them.

So the obvious potential of the design was recognised by some at an early stage - just not by Sir Bill. Idiot.

Cheers

Fossil

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Strange, isn't it ? Lyons was a very , very successful idiot

The V8, lovely though it is, is not all that good a design in terms of durability , the bottom end just not being up to it for everyday use. Compared with the XK engine it is a lemon . I love my V8 , which is far superior to the Buick/Olds/Rover design in terms of refinement. However, as I well remember from my days as a director of a distributor, we had endless trouble with " out of warranty " claims with the 2.5 litre ( the Majestic Major only sold in penny numbers ) mostly associated with apparent bearing failure , and one of the troubles that I recall was that many of the engines produced a nasty knock , but when stripped revealed no actual failure. Presumably it was an excessive clearance problem, but this did nothing for the customer's confidence . In contrast I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of claims for defects on the XK ( the 2.8 XJ6 pistons excepted, but even these were not very common ) . So Lyons ( IMHO the most astute leader of any manufacturer ) was certainly not an idiot, but shrewd, in not sanctioning any further investment in Turner's brilliant but fatally flawed - from a production point of view - design