Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Ignition Switch

Johnsson

DB18 Ignition Switch

Post by Johnsson »

I have been chasing an electrical problem in my Daimler for several days and believe it to be the in the ignition switch. The switch is a Lucas PLC 6 combined ignition and lighting switch. The problem is that nothing electrical is working except the horn. Whilst I can’t follow it on the wiring diagram this is the way I think the ignition switch is connected. Power comes into the switch via the ammeter to terminal A. There is no connection to any other terminal in the switch when the key and light switch are off. When the key is turned on there should be a connection between terminal A and terminal IGN which feeds the coil. When the light switch is turned to the first position there should be a connection between terminal A and S (sidelights and tail lights). In the second position there should be a connection between A and S and H (headlights). Am I correct in these assumptions?

Trevor

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: DB18 Ignition Switch

Post by Sydsmith »

Morning Trevor.

That sounds correct though I should say I don't have a wring diagram for a DB18 and can't confirm your letters.

The feed through the switch should be provided by 12 volts at terminal "A" and as you say when the key is turned the 12 volts should appear at terminal "ign" and from there to the coil.

I have a volt meter but when checking these circuits I prefer a side light bulb in an old holder with test wires attached, it is a lot easier than trying to hold a meter and prods in place when testing, but that is my personal preference.

Hope that helps. Syd

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Trevor, your description of the switch circuits is correct.

Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Thank you both for confirming my assumptions.

Trevor

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

You can find a wiring diagram on www.db18.org
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)