Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What is this?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

What is this?

Post by NickDeAth »

Come on you knowledgeable Gents out there what is this for?
It came from my Dads tool box, I think he got it from his Dad who I think was an engineer on the railways. It has been laying about for years and once every so often I tell myself I'll find out what that is for.

Stamped into one leg is the word Initiandum, and Schuchardt & Schutte. I have found out that Schuchardt & Schutte were machine tool manufacturers. Each leg is 80 mm long, 11 mm wide and 2 mm thick. on the back one leg is marked in mm and the other in inches.
Initiandum 003.jpg
Initiandum 002.jpg
Initiandum 001.jpg
If someone knows what it is have they got a use for it?

I await your replies with interest!

Regards Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

John-B
Site Admin

Re: What is this?

Post by John-B »

Is it a draughtsman's instrument, like a pentagraph? See Wiki
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pentagraph

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I don't think it's a draughtsmans implement as they were mainly made of wood and brass in the back in the day.
It may be more likely to be used by a tool maker or a fitter due to the fact it appears to be made of steel. Probably it is set to a component then used as a guide or template to make an accompanying part.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I love this type of posting and at first thought this was a very old parallel rule for navigation, but on searching the net there is nothing like it for that purpose.

I recon it is as has been suggested an engineers instrument of some sort.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

It's probably for use with a lathe, look at this page of tools and see if you can see it in the fifth photo.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/schuchardt&schutte/

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

John-B wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm It's probably for use with a lathe, look at this page of tools and see if you can see it in the fifth photo.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/schuchardt&schutte/
I cannot see the tool on display inspite of enlarging the picture, but a wonderful Link, thank you for sharing that with us!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Looks like something similar on the right hand side on the flat surface under the wall display.

Wonderful link John.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Are the two sides linked? So if you move one, the other moves correspondingly like a pantograph.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Phillmore wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 pm Are the two sides linked? So if you move one, the other moves correspondingly like a pantograph.
I think you would hold one leg and move the other so that a machinist could mark out one situation from another. I think the legs would normally be parallel as in the first photo in Nick's post. Draughtsmen use one on a drawing board to draw parallel lines but I agree this would be for a machinist. I can't see how it would be used in the W arrangement unless there was an angle measurement marked somewhere.

I don't think it would be used just for lathe work. I said that previously because it was made by a lathe manufacturer. It would be for general machine work. Didn't some of you learn how to use one at technical college? I trained as a surveyor and knew about using a similar one with longer legs for architectural work.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Well there's some interesting replies. I had seen that web site and pictures before when I was finding out who Schuchart and Schutte were.
I didn't actually look in detail for the item, and I still can't see it.
The three knurled nuts are all independent pivots, each piece can move independently of the others. The two flat arms can be set at any angle and are not linked to each other. The two flat pieces cannot cross each other.
My best guess is it could be used for measuring angles on one work piece for transfer to another.
Any more suggestions?

Regards Nick

I was obviously typing at the same time as John B, I think we are on the same lines.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"